need some help choosing return pump as well as 2 closed loop pumps

charlestonreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the process of mapping out a 475 DT that's currently being built by Derek at Miracles set up for a closed loop system. Haven't landed on where i should source a sump yet (open to any suggestions here) but I'd guess the sump will be around 100 gallons (60x24x18). Here's my dilemma...
with approximately 13' of drop from the display down to the sump (sump and EVERYTHING is in a room on the floor below) I have to have a pretty decent sized pump to push the water back up that high after it's run through the sump. I understand I should try to run about 5-7x flow through the sump so if i base it on just the DT alone that's about 3000 gallons / hour. If I spring for the Red Dragon 3 speedy 230 high pressure model and run it at 200w so it's not wide open literally 24 hours a day (I'm assuming I shouldn't run it wide open all the time) it looks like given the head pressure to push the water back up to the DT I'll still only achieve 1900 gallons an hour. That only gives me 4x DT volume for sump flow. Is this OK? Is there another set it and forget it "Mercedes" pump i should consider? I didn't realize how much more difficult and expensive it was going to make this build to put the sump and "equipment room" on the floor below the tank.
1593515817336.png

I had intended to even mount the closed loop pumps in the room below and just plumb to them in an effort to keep the noise and all the equipment in the same area but given the head pressure challenges I may opt to at least mount the closed loop pumps directly under the tank. I figured for the closed loop (2 intakes and 6 supplys) I would run two red dragon 230's not the high pressure version and each would provide about 6000 gallons an hour in flow.

1593515899543.png

What do you guys think?!? Is there another brand of pump I should look at?

1593515074847.png 1593515666487.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amp Master. Get them with the saltwater seals and they will last a decade or more. They are also pretty low wattage for what they do.

The 3500 and 4750 are less than 200w and are great pumps. They have larger pumps if you need them.

DC is not what you really need here, IMO. You are on the right tract with Red Dragon or Abyzz since they are the only ones who might get close, but they cost is just SOOOOO much and they do not move as much water.

OP
OP
C

charlestonreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look like the Amp Master can be variable speed. On a closed loop system should I plan to run the return pump at the same flow 24 hours a day and just have the closed loop pumps on a schedule to dial back their flow at night?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dialed mine back at night. Had them on Ocean Motion 4 way and just let them be. You might also want to consider some larger flow pumps. You could dial those back at night. Tunze on a sea sweep was awesome.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think I would go with a Red Dragons or Abyzz for a return pump and maybe a single closed loop. Then supplement the flow with a couple MP60's.
But if the budget is unlimited go with the biggest and baddest RD's or Abyzz you can.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant just go by the flow charts.
You need to calculate the fittings as well.
I have not found a pump yet that meets its flow chart spec.

I agree that the main return pump from the sump not be DC.

If your using the closed loops only for flow then I would put them directly under the tank, and use DC pumps.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back