Need some help! New too saltwater!

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody I’m new and just got into the hobby and started my first marine aquarium 2 weeks ago.
I started a 29G, 30X13X19. Equipment - HOB Aquaclear 50 (planning on getting anotha filter along with this one to help it out), Fluval heater, Fluval pump pointing towards surface, API Marine test kit. I got a pair of small clownfish and a cleaner shrimp.

Im planning on doing my tanks first water change in a month to really let the bacteria settle in lol. I plan on doing a large water change around 50-75% in like 3 weeks since it’s only been 2 weeks starting up the tank.
Also am waiting a month to add more fish because I’m waiting for the tank to cycle.
I did a same day, fish in cycle with turbo start 900 (I know, I know) and it showed no ammonia, nitrite, low nitrate for the first few days but recently from the past few days it’s been showing Ammonia 0.5ppm, Nitrite 1.0ppm, Nitrate 40ppm. I been dosing Seachem Prime every couple days to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite. I’ve also been dosing every couple days Seachem Stability and Fluval Bio-Enhancer to help with the bio filter. Today I got some Bio-Spira and threw in that bottle hoping to help the cycle. Also added a lil bit of Seachem Pristine because the water was very cloudy after adding the Arch, and Bio-Spira. Ph fluctuates from 7.8 to 8.0, got some Seachem buffer I might use. Salinity 1.025, and Temp is 79-81.
What can I do to help the cycle? Is there anything I should be doing for the ammonia and nitrite?

I’m planning on adding more fish but I’m waiting a month or two too add them. What are some fish I can put in my tank?? I have a minimalistic, but with lots of flow, hiding spaces, etc. Aquascape with lots of swimming space. My small clowns stay to their rock they chose and same with the shrimp. What are some fish you’d recommend?

3396E616-6334-490D-A1AE-51028B24933B.jpeg

First rockscape I had, very minimal but with hiding spots. As you can see tall with lots of open swimming space, and my tiny lil clowns.
A4D5B893-4F26-4FFE-A43E-2F432A4E86DE.jpeg

Added another arch to it today, more hiding spots/enrichment ig. Can’t decide which one is better First or Second lol.

This is my first marine aquarium, don’t plan on keeping any coral yet but I did scrape some coralline algae in there from my LFS!

Please give me any advice or tips you’d give to a newbie lol I been doin my research, non stop YouTube vids, regular lfs trips, all of the above ahaha! Let me know what fish I can add and what I can do bout my parameters. Let me know if there’s anything I should be doing or if im on the right track or not ahaha. Thanks!

My bad idk why this posted twice, but I would love the extra tips and advice! Pls lmk, thank u

Last edited:

Reefing102begal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 25%
1   3   0
When your tank is more matured you can definitely get an algae blenny love those guys they got so much personality. Pair of clowns? 6 line maybe in the future. Make sure you just stay on a steady schedule consistency is key to my success. The coralline probably wont be able to grow yet but hey no harm I guess

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API tests will give you false ammonia readings. Just search it on this forum, you will find literally hundreds of posts about API.

Stop dumping chemicals in your tank. You don't nave ammonia if your fish are alive.

Diamond Jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grats on the new tank. This is an awesome hobby to be a part of.

Like East Reef said consistency is the key. Get on a waterchange schedule. Biweekly or something close would be good. Change the same amount. Usually something around 15-30% range is standard. An ato would be great or top off water everyday. Try not to overfeed fish.

You will pick up alot through the journey. Don’t worry about any setbacks that may come up. Once you get things going try to avoid changing too many things at the same time.

I’m starting up a biocube. I just added a Royal Gramma. Other fish i’m thinking about are a goby and pistol shrimp. Pair of Clowns. Six Line.

Best of luck! Have fun!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@toor.attar if you can’t tell you’re overworking your process. I’ve use Fritz 900 and put in two fish the next day. To what @ScottJ said, you’re probably cycled and getting a bad ammonia reading. So relax and finish your rockscape and stuff. For your first water change I wouldn’t go more than 10-20%. You’ll find a rhythm to when you need to do water changes based on nitrates, alkalinity, and phosphates. Enjoy!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back