Need some help with Monti's

flyfish4trout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three encrusting monti's that have been in my tank for two plus years, a rainbow, superman and sunset. On Thursday I noticed a dull patch forming on my superman and now I have one that has started and is growing rapidly on my rainbow. I have removed the rainbow and inspected for nudi's and flat worms and I found none. The flesh is not eaten away, it is still there where the dull patch is you can even see some polyps sticking through the dull patch. Pics included, the color in the photo is not quite right but I think you can get the general idea. Anyone deal with this before and have a recommended course of action. Lighting is all LED has been for the last year now, params are all normal and stable. The only new addition to the tank is a clam from a fellow reefer that was added two months ago. Thanks in advance.

P1060652.jpg

P1060650.jpg

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these corals in an area where detritus or sediment can settle on them? I've noticed similar problems, due to sand settling on an area of coral. Also, you mention that all parameters are normal and stable. What parameters do you test for? What results are you getting?

On the Superman, it could be that the coral is being effected by the surrounding Zoanthids. I see some Zoanthids, in the background of the Rainbow photo, as well, so that's also a possibility there.

OP
OP
F

flyfish4trout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params are as follow: Ammonia 0; Nitrate 0; Nitrite 0; Magnesium 1350 ppm; Calcium 440 ppm; Alkalinity 3.25 meq/L; Salinity 1.027 sg based on refractometer; Temperature 78F; ph 8.1-8-3. As for the Zoas they have been in contact with the corals for years and the only problem that I have ever had was with them shading SPS. I usually cut them back every month and chuck them out, and when I cut them I try to do as little damage to the polyps as possible and do a water change following the trimming. I have not seen detritus settle on any of my coral that are located off of the sand bed since installing the Vortech pump several months ago. Thanks for the input.

Thinking about pulling out the coral and dipping after the lights go out tonight, before this gets any more out of control. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in the tank do you have these guys positioned? Are they getting direct flow? Indirect flow? have you tried blowing them off with a turkey baster to be sure nothing is on them??

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you always ran your Salinity at 1.027 or is this new? This is slightly high, though I don't know if it'd cause the issues you're experiencing. I recently loaned my refractometer out, and didn't get it back as soon as planned. Of course, my back up refractometer was nowhere to be found...lol. During this time, I actually got my salinity a little high, in one tank... okay, A LOT high, at 1.030! Surprisingly, all fish and corals were just fine. Granted, it was only high for maybe 2 weeks. Unfortunately, it's a small tank, and without the refractometer, I'd had to guesstimate, while making up some new saltwater...lol.

OP
OP
F

flyfish4trout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well last night I dipped the Rainbow in Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure and much to my dismay and surprise several hundred very small (largest was probably 2mm) flatworms dropped off. They were basically colorless until they were dipped and then they turned a brown yellow (probably from the TMPCC staining them). I then freaked out and dipped several other Acro's to see if they were on those as well. It appears that these suckers are only on the encrusting monti's that I have. I even dipped a piece of live rock that has some zoas and nothing on that either. Has anyone ever seen a parasidic flatworm that only goes after encrusting monti's? Sucks.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of any specific flatworms that are Montipora predators, though I've heard that AEFW may also target Montipora species, which is in the Acropoidae family.

However, they could also be Red Planaria, the common flat worms that aren't predatory. They aren't always "red." Could be that, due to the large population, they were blocking light, irritating the Montiporas.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back