Need some opinions on a float switch.

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a reefkeeper elite, and I have a spare float switch that's just laying around.

I need some opinions on where I should place it.

I'm thinking either placing it in the return pump section to shut it off if it tries to run dry in the even of auto top off failure.

Or

In the skimmer collection cup

I believe the return pump has an automatic shut off to prevent it from running dry but a little redundancy never hurt.

Let me know what y'all think would be the best option or share what y'all did with your float switches.

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your main pump runs out of water it means your aint paying attention to your tank. You should have an ATO so you have a stable tank and main pump will never run dry. Skimmer is were you could use is as a level switch everytime you have a power outage and power comes back skimmer wont overflow.

OP
OP
MagisterDamask

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your main pump runs out of water it means your aint paying attention to your tank. You should have an ATO so you have a stable tank and main pump will never run dry. Skimmer is were you could use is as a level switch everytime you have a power outage and power comes back skimmer wont overflow.

I do have an auto top off as I said in my original post. My thing is that I work out of town 4 days per week, and if the auto top off pump fails then I've put all my faith in my auto top off.

That is a solid point about the skimmer though, heck, I may just buy another float switch and do both. I mean the switches are only like $15.

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if thats the point then yeah a float to take care of the pump wont be a bad idea. And for the skimmer yeah I hate when I use to have power outage and got everything the skimmer pulled out put back again in the tank

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me since I use DC Jebao pumps on my return, I really don't trust them and I have a float to tell me if my sump fills... I.e. I'd the return pump quits.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add one to the overflow as a high water alarm.
In case of clogged overflow drain, water can't leave display, return pump keeps pumping, ATO keeps filling...
So have high water level float in the overflow that cuts off return.

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My float switch has failed before but luckily my ato container was almost empty and it didn't flood my sump with 5 gallons of RO water. I've since put a secondary float switch and added a code (apex) which turns off my ato pump if it runs for more than 2 minutes.

OP
OP
MagisterDamask

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, this is why I love this forum. All very solid ideas. I need a lot of redundancy, I might just buy several float switches to accompany the extra one that I had. I'm a big fan of @eggie 's idea of the skimmer cup, so that's where the extra one is going. I'm going to order a couple more.

I'm going to put one the return pump section

And possibly the overflow as well, I do have the beananimal system with a coast to coast overflow, however, it's still not a bad idea if I get absent minded and close all the valves for some dumb reason or one of my kids close them and it fills up.

FFFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a float-switch in my skimmer cup. It's nice to automatically shutdown the skimmer and avoid a mess.
Here's another idea . . . I don't use socks in my sump. However, there's a sponge / foam filter compartment. I've got a switch in there to remind me that it's time to clean that sponge (water level rises in the sponge compartment as the sponge clogs).

OP
OP
MagisterDamask

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a float-switch in my skimmer cup. It's nice to automatically shutdown the skimmer and avoid a mess.
Here's another idea . . . I don't use socks in my sump. However, there's a sponge / foam filter compartment. I've got a switch in there to remind me that it's time to clean that sponge (water level rises in the sponge compartment as the sponge clogs).

Very nice!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back