Need some thoughts on another goby

CarrieHess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have one watchman goby in my tank already. My tank is a 65gallon tank with quite a bit of rock work & hiding spots. I really would love to get a diamond back goby to help sift sand.

I guess what I am asking is it a bad idea to put another goby in the tank with the amount of space I have? Or would I be better off looking at a wrasse or something of the sort?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard some species of Shrimp Gobies will share burrows despite being seperate breeds.

Not sure which ones.

Otherwise you'd have to get a female or male counterpart YWMG or they'll fight.

OP
OP
CarrieHess

CarrieHess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard some species of Shrimp Gobies will share burrows despite being seperate breeds.

Not sure which ones.

Otherwise you'd have to get a female or male counterpart YWMG or they'll fight.
This may sound crazy but how would I know what sex they are?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have no problem putting another gobi in there. Not a watchman now unless they are different sexes and they change sexes on their own, but not always unless you put them in together.

OP
OP
CarrieHess

CarrieHess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your input! I kind of figured it would be okay but I always like to go on the side of caution if I can.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify: It’s easy to get a pair of YWGs if introduced together but not so much if added separately?
I think what someone was saying is like clowns they start A-Sexual and transform.

So I guess that would be dependent on their age. but seeing most fish from LFS's are Juvi's I can imagine it would be fine yes.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding of yellow watchman gobies (possibly many of the watchman species, or even many of the gobies, not sure on that...) is that they can flip genders on an as-needed basis. Unlike angelfish (female > male) or clownfish (male > female), at least some of the gobies can go either way.

I can say with certainty that I've never had trouble pairing yellow (or grey, for that matter) watchmen. Easiest way, of course, is to purchase two smaller ones together and let them figure it out as they grow.

~B.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mated pair now and I always have mater pairs of them and I don't think it is just chance. I am pretty sure they change sex when they are young but I am not sure they can do it when they are older, but I am guessing.

They are very old here, maybe 8 or 9

This is her as a baby

And tending her eggs.

They started out yellow and as they aged, they turned brown. That pair lived about 10 or 12 years and I have a new breeding pair now.

Very nice fish and good luck

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back