Need some tips for my new build!

nor127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef-people!

I am new to this hobby and could use some tips on equipment for my new build.
Im planning to keep a mix of soft and lps corals.
Im trying to make this tank as quiet (and idiot-proof) as possible. Hopefully silent if thats even possible.

This is currently my plan:

Tank:
Waterbox Marine X 110.4 (301 l display + 97 l sump)

Flow:
1x TMC Reef-Tide 4000 lph
Need some more flow here. Any suggestion?
Thinking of going with a 8000 lph TMC. Would this be enough flow?

Lights:
2x AI Prime 16.
I have these from another tank. Would this be enough lights?

Skimmer:
Maybe Nyos 120/160? Maybe someone has this skimmer and can tell me about the noise-level?
Any suggestions for an effective and silent skimmer?

ATO:
Never even had a ATO before. Any suggestions for something reliable and not too expensive?

Anything else I have forgotten?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef-people!

I am new to this hobby and could use some tips on equipment for my new build.
Im planning to keep a mix of soft and lps corals.
Im trying to make this tank as quiet (and idiot-proof) as possible. Hopefully silent if thats even possible.

This is currently my plan:

Tank:
Waterbox Marine X 110.4 (301 l display + 97 l sump)

Flow:
1x TMC Reef-Tide 4000 lph
Need some more flow here. Any suggestion?
Thinking of going with a 8000 lph TMC. Would this be enough flow?

Lights:
2x AI Prime 16.
I have these from another tank. Would this be enough lights?

Skimmer:
Maybe Nyos 120/160? Maybe someone has this skimmer and can tell me about the noise-level?
Any suggestions for an effective and silent skimmer?

ATO:
Never even had a ATO before. Any suggestions for something reliable and not too expensive?

Anything else I have forgotten?
Welcome to R2R!!! Look forward to seeing your build progress.

Couple of comments on Skimmer, ATO and flow

I have the Nyos 120 on a Red Sea reefer 170 and very happy with it. With the cabinet door open I can barely hear it and with it closed completely silent. The only downside I have with it is I have to manually clean and empty. The skimmer cone is too small to get an automated cleaner and the collection cup doesn't have a drain hole (I could probably do a DIY fix for this but have not taken the time to do so).

For ATO I use the Tunze Osmolators (full size) on 3 different tanks and have been happy with them (oldest is about 9 years). Note the pumps are not silent, but they are not running all the time. I just recently (2 weeks ago) installed a reef breeders prism ATO on a Coral quarantine tank and have been happy with it so far, but not nearly as much experience as the Tunze ($60 vs $200) and the pump is nearly silent.

For flow I have had good luck with Vortec MP series of pumps (4 MP 40s in one tank), and the controllable Tunzes. I have also had good experience with the Maxspect Gyre pumps (they do require more frequent maintenance than the Vortec and Tunze pumps) and I like the flow of the Maxspect in my mixed reef tank. Also if you are going to have small snails as part of your cleanup crew I would avoid the maxspect pumps - they get stuck in them all the time and make a horrible noise. The pros of the MP pumps is no cables in the tank, reliable and controllable. The downside is you can't angle them. The Tunze upside is powerful, reliable and controllable, the downside is they are big and cables in your tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back