Need support because I’m about to quit!

Mikeht11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tamberav
Next time you go to the gas station, do me a favor. Test a sample of the gasoline before you put it into your tank. You better "be redudant" right? Never know what you are going to get. Ridiculous.
If only it was that easy, who knows what kind of crap these gas station are selling us these days.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tamberav
Next time you go to the gas station, do me a favor. Test a sample of the gasoline before you put it into your tank. You better "be redudant" right? Never know what you are going to get. Ridiculous.

Someone literally just posted they test if it's salt water by tasting it even. It takes like 30 seconds. I don't feel it is a ridiculous thing to do or expect to do at all.

We trust and hope venders don't send us corals with pests but many people dip anyways. We are also responsible for our own tanks and what goes in them and making sure to have redundancy.

Hopefully someone else learns from this screw up and double checks their water because this isn't the first or last time a mixup like this has happened.

I certainly hope the LFS will help restock his tank with some free frags or a good discount. It honestly sounds like his LFS is a good place and it was a honest mistake.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, I'm not blaming the LFS at all. Also, even when they aren't obligated to, they were more than willing to get me back up and running when my tank is ready again. Even if they didn't agree to do anything, I wouldn't have pushed anything any further. They have been more than kind to me from the get go. Sometimes life gets a little busy and I didn't spend 10 seconds to test it. That's on me mostly. They are putting safety measures in place so it doesn't happen again. That's pretty cool!

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the loss. Take a moment to rest. Your passion will return given enough time for the sting to go away. We all hv been there but don’t make quick decisions with your emotions in turmoil. Good luck with whatever u decide.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good attitude to have, mistakes happen and it sounds like the parties involved will reach an amicable resolution. Life lessons like "trust but verify" are usually painful :)
Agreed, like most stated, I believe these people are in the hobby for the love of it. They don't want someone to quit the hobby on behalf of them I'm sure. :)

Ed Hutchings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tamberav

Lucky for everyone they have different nozzles so can't really mix up diesel and petrol. If I pumped gas in my car, using the gas nozzle, and ended up with diesel in my tank I'd be more than a little bent.

That being said I make my own RO/DI and I still taste test water all the time. Just to be sure.

Thomas GRANT Quinlan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had my nano tank up for over a year and had it fully stocked and exactly how I wanted it. Have been watching it grow out for a long time. I went out of town and before I did I bought some more ato water. The local fish store apparently gave me saltwater instead of ro/di (I should have double checked it) and so it skyrocketed my salinity while I was gone and resulted in a complete loss. It was even marked ro water. I’m talking about 7 inch diameter montiporas, a hammer I’ve had for 9 months, all my fish, rare yellow pistol shrimp, zoas. I’m heartbroken honestly! I’m looking at a tank of death and contemplating quitting the hobby now. What a disaster that could have been avoided. [emoji20][emoji20][emoji20]

Hang in there. If there is anything that can go wrong it will when you go out of town. I would talk about the issue with the fish store and try to have them restock your tank. It was their issue and they messed up. Good luck and I hope you stay on board. Crashes are common in this field and you have to just consider it a natural disaster like a hurricane or something.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you kidding? People sue for all sorts of reasons when damages occur. You have a reasonable expectation to not be given toxic substances (salt water) from your LFS. It's not malicious at all. If the store is not reasonable and help the individual restock their tank, then yes I would sue them. The world is not some charity. It's business.
She would absolutely win to, businesses have liability insurance for this reason exactly, it’s not like the LFS owners family is personally paying her and they are eating ramen from here on out. This thread alone is more than enough evidence to prove emotional damage was caused to the accuser in addition to physical damages. I would absolutely take them to court if they keep playing this “not our fault but we will sorta help you if you want brown palys and some gsp”

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely blame the LFS if I had a jug labeled RODI, I asked them to fill it with RODI and they give me saltwater. It's not your fault. You shouldn't have to check. Double checking is a good thing to do, but you were given the wrong product.

On a different level, but this reminds me of when Applebees served a toddler alcohol when it was supposed to be apple juice. Was it the parents fault for not tasting the kids drink first? Heck no.

Your LFS is lucky you dont have some giant system with $1000's of livestock.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there. If there is anything that can go wrong it will when you go out of town.

I can agree with that! No sweat here. I'm in good hands with this fish store. I will be posting in a couple of weeks what they gave me to replace what I lost. Anything is going to be more than they had to do. So I will be a happy camper! Thanks for the support.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She would absolutely win to, businesses have liability insurance for this reason exactly, it’s not like the LFS owners family is personally paying her and they are eating ramen from here on out. This thread alone is more than enough evidence to prove emotional damage was caused to the accuser in addition to physical damages. I would absolutely take them to court if they keep playing this “not our fault but we will sorta help you if you want brown palys and some gsp”

I don't believe this to be the case. The guy specifically told me he could get me/hook me up with most of these pieces I lost (to an extent) with an exception of a few that I'd have to pay for (like the name brand superman monti etc). I don't have time to go to court over a hobby, but I respect anyone's decision to do so. It is their hard earned money. I just wouldn't myself. :)

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely blame the LFS if I had a jug labeled RODI, I asked them to fill it with RODI and they give me saltwater. It's not your fault. You shouldn't have to check. Double checking is a good thing to do, but you were given the wrong product.

On a different level, but this reminds me of when Applebees served a toddler alcohol when it was supposed to be apple juice. Was it the parents fault for not tasting the kids drink first? Heck no.

Your LFS is lucky you dont have some giant system with $1000's of livestock.

Well, I would estimate I lost about something around $1000 in corals and livestock + at their current state when they met their demise. (If I bought them off a website now at their size at that point).

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your attitude is great. People are people and make mistakes.

...and it was an opportunity for the LFS to improve their processes and was a learning experience for the OP and the rest of us.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and it was an opportunity for the LFS to improve their processes and was a learning experience for the OP and the rest of us.

Absolutely agree with this. I hope the next time I'm in, he has it marked like he said they were going to do. That will make me feel really good about what happened. Will show that they are serious about making the changes to prevent it in the future. If I had to bet money on it, I would bet that they have it labeled by the next time!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back