Need to make sure Im not paranoid about white dots

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okay thats what I thought. This is my first puffer so Im terrified of moving him and him puffing and getting air accidently
BTW- little cutie as you described

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW- little cutie as you described
Thank you! He is the cutest little one Ive ever seen thats why Im panicking about him being sick. Im super attached to the little dude

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! He is the cutest little one Ive ever seen thats why Im panicking about him being sick. Im super attached to the little dude

Well, it does look like ich, but I'm still holding out that it might be mucus spots. I think you need to set up a treatment tank capable of holding all of the fish (and prepare to treat with coppersafe) , (or setting up a tank capable of holding all of the invertebrates and prepare to treat with hyposalinity). Then - watch the spots. if they change in number and location on the fish and if OTHER fish start showing them, start a treatment. If these spots subside and no other fish show them, crisis averted and you now have a quarantine tank at the ready for the next one!

Jay

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it does look like ich, but I'm still holding out that it might be mucus spots. I think you need to set up a treatment tank capable of holding all of the fish (and prepare to treat with coppersafe) , (or setting up a tank capable of holding all of the invertebrates and prepare to treat with hyposalinity). Then - watch the spots. if they change in number and location on the fish and if OTHER fish start showing them, start a treatment. If these spots subside and no other fish show them, crisis averted and you now have a quarantine tank at the ready for the next one!

Jay
No other fish are showing symptoms. Im going to move the puffer to a treatment tank with coppersafe. Do I do hyposalinity as well in that tank? Ill observe the DT and need be do hyposalinity in there and move my inverts

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other fish are showing symptoms. Im going to move the puffer to a treatment tank with coppersafe. Do I do hyposalinity as well in that tank? Ill observe the DT and need be do hyposalinity in there and move my inverts
No, although you CAN run coppersafe and hyposalinity at the same time, it is easier on the fish to just pick one or the other.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe is safe to use on puffers right?

Yes - if all else is fine, porcupines can handle coppersafe very well. I actually had a one-eyed porcupine that we kept in our quarantine system for almost a year. It went through multiple coppersafe treatments and never had any issues.

Jay

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - if all else is fine, porcupines can handle coppersafe very well. I actually had a one-eyed porcupine that we kept in our quarantine system for almost a year. It went through multiple coppersafe treatments and never had any issues.

Jay
Is this okay? Only coppersafe lfs had besides cupramine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 9

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So for the QT I have fresh saltwater and planned to add bottled bacteria. Is this okay? What temp do I need?
Same temp as your display tank and you can add an air stone and go to 80 degrees which helps reduce the life cycle of the parasites

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same temp as your display tank and you can add an air stone and go to 80 degrees which helps reduce the life cycle of the parasites
Okay does a small air stone work? Thats all I have. He is in a 10 gallon QT

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I called the shop and they run copper in the system where the puffers are. He had been in there a month. Could this be why he passed?
Possibly depending on treatment level, and if ionic copper .

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back