Need ugf veterans

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the advice of a lfs I'll be using a UGF system in my new 90 gallon. Depending on a few things possibly a RUGF. I'm looking for any tips on using either system to give me the best longevity. I'll be running a mostly softie and LPS tank. Using 80 lbs of live rock and roughly 80lbs of CC substrate.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the UGF. It was simple to use. Main downer is prone to getting clogged and reducing the flow. Also trapping detritus underneath where flow is low. i found larger diameter substrate and a lot a vacuuming w. Water changes helps. Lots of flow for sure.

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2 350gpf powerheads for it now. Don't know if I can return them or not as they don't offer reverse flow. I'd like to run RUGF and have been picking Paul B's brain so much I feel like a pest. Would I need different pumps or can I switch the tubing around and maybe install a valve to reduce flow?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the UGF's I remember when removing the air stone & setting a power head on the stack stepped up the game !
As for the original question, thats a pretty big tank for a ugf, Many better ways now. Perhaps used as a supplement to other filtration .

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the UGF's I remember when removing the air stone & setting a power head on the stack stepped up the game !

+1
upload_2019-3-10_20-33-6.gif

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the original question, thats a pretty big tank for a ugf, Many better ways now. Perhaps used as a supplement to other filtration .
I'm fine with using additional filtration. Any certain recommendations? My goal regardless of setup is longevity.

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something simple like the aquaclear 100?

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Aquaclear, but I have not kept up on HOB so I cannot say.

I still like the Skilter also @Wickedfun :)

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I put my base rock directly on my screens or put the CC substrate on first?

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I put my base rock directly on my screens or put the CC substrate on first?
It's been a long time since I used a UGF, a really long time... You're going to be vacuuming the CC a lot. If I remember correctly even with reverse flow. Because of this I would think rocks on the plate. That way you don't risk undermining them while you're vacuuming or end up with a detritus trap in the space under the rocks. I'm interested to see how it works out. Back when I ran UGFs the idea of keeping coral was just coming about. Good luck!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B is an UGF person for a hundred years. I believe he runs reverse. Hopefully the tag will drag him here to respond.

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already been picking his brain more than I'm comfortable with. I'm also debating on running reverse. Just need to figure out how to build the manifold for it and if my pumps I already have will work for it.

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I would ever run a UGF again would be reverse, with fairly high flow and very coarse substrate, maybe more on the live rock rubble size than the crushed coral gravel size. It would be a lovely way to go for a larger commercial setup or predator tank, lots of biological filtration capacity, especially if you used very porous material :)

We ran a UGF at the pet store I used to work at for our live rock bin, mainly to keep detritus from settling out. It worked fantastically well with crushed pukani rubble as the gravel. A good prefilter on the return pump is mandatory- we usually ran felt-type socks over a sponge and cleaned them every few days. I always thought it would be a good solution on a frag setup.

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running mine in reverse with a 350gph pump split going to both sides of my plate. Adding either a screen or some regular foam filter material to the intake. Going to be fabricating the plumbing this weekend. I'll post pics on my build thread once it is all in place. Got a lot of help from Paul B on the specifics of it all.

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter plates don't cover the entire bottom of tank from front to back. Is this ok? Finally doing test fitting now that the tank is inside the wall.

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stressed out. LFS who sold me the plates that are labeled for a 40 or 55 gallon are telling me that it's fine. Probably going to spend the $50 to order new ones online that don't leave a 6 inch gap on the front of the tank

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t stress. Easy fix.
They don’t have to fit wall to wall, but you do want as much as possible. Is it 6 inches short the entire length ?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back