Need utilitarian fish list! Multiple tangs for 100 gallon?

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fox face in my tank he’s not a bully nor is he the tank boss. However he’s laid back confident and the tank boss stays out of his way. I’m sure you will like the fox face.

Checked out a fox face yesterday at my local Petco and these very very small dots maybe 3 or 4 on him.. same color as his coat... I came home and noticed my clown had similar spots even a light brown one on both fins.. in this picture you can see a small spot in the white stripe. Should I be conserned?

4F2C82FC-F3A4-49AC-B139-634181616A10.png

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a little hard to see clearly in the picture. It may very well be some sort of parasite on them. I’m guessing you are new to the hobby. So now is a good time to learn a lesson that will serve you well in this hobby. It may also be one of the things that may keep you in the hobby. You need to setup a quarantine tank. It doesn’t have to be huge try using a twenty gallon long tank. You only need a heater, hang on the back filter, an ammonia alert tag for the tank, and a piece of three or four inch sch 40 pipe or fitting for the fish to hide in to feel secure. I quarantine for three or four weeks before I allow any new fish in my tank. There are plenty of threads by people who know way more than me on this subject on this forum. We are all here to help and we all continue to learn.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use RODI, I don't go longer than 5 minutes, but some people do. The fish will look like they're freaking out, or even lay flat on their sides, but they'll be fine. Add a air stone in with it

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no Foxface get pretty big, too big for a 100 gal IMO. I think you should just stick with two tangs, either a Yellow, plus a Tomini, or any of the smaller Ctenochaetus tangs. They are among the smallest of the tangs.
Yellow tang is the smallest of the Zebrasoma tangs and the only Zebrasoma tang that I would put in a 100 gal tank.

I only have three tangs, a Yellow, Purple and Powder Blue tangs. My tank is a 320 gal tank however.

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no Foxface get pretty big, too big for a 100 gal IMO. I think you should just stick with two tangs, either a Yellow, plus a Tomini, or any of the smaller Ctenochaetus tangs. They are among the smallest of the tangs.
Yellow tang is the smallest of the Zebrasoma tangs and the only Zebrasoma tang that I would put in a 100 gal tank.

I only have three tangs, a Yellow, Purple and Powder Blue tangs. My tank is a 320 gal tank however.

thanks for the advice but I actually just grabbed the fox face but granted he’s a juvenile and I’ll trade him in once he grows out my tank. Purple tangs get bigger than the yellow?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to LiveAquaria,com and look at the tank size recommendation of the fish they have there. They are not the authority of this subject but by and large, most experienced reefers seem to agree with them.
Size alone is not the complete base for tank size. On the whole, Tangs and Foxface grow very quick. My Foxface grow from 2 inches to 7 inches in a 18 months time.
Purple tangs are larger and more regressive than Yellow tang.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my humble opinion a 6 ft tank would give you a better chance of long term success with tang as they like allot of horizontal swimming space. If you must would only go with one....purple or yellow w/b my suggestion...;I would do the purple although they are rather expensive these days. Yellows are more moderately priced. Good luck.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back