OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest tank water if there are corals stuck to the rock that you are dunking, but as long as the water is matched for salt and temp new SW is fine.

It is hard slow tedious work. Have good lighting in your work area. Suggest gloves.
Do you do one rock at a time?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do one rock at a time?
Yes. I spread the work out over a couple of days. My process was also slowed down as the rocks were encrusted with SPS.

You will get faster at it as you go. Vermetids like to get deep in the rocks crevices so get after the base. They can only withdraw so far.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I spread the work out over a couple of days. My process was also slowed down as the rocks were encrusted with SPS.

You will get faster at it as you go. Vermetids like to get deep in the rocks crevices so get after the base. They can only withdraw so far.
I'm prepping myself for murder tonight lol

I hope my first rock goes well for motivation to the rest

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock 1/4 thoroughly cleaned tonight. I missed several so I will continue to rotate thru the rocks until I'm happy.

Once I'm happy I hope I'm not unhappy with them breaking out again.. hoping at that point the bumble bee snails can handle

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock 1/4 thoroughly cleaned tonight. I missed several so I will continue to rotate thru the rocks until I'm happy.

Once I'm happy I hope I'm not unhappy with them breaking out again.. hoping at that point the bumble bee snails can handle
what method?

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am continuing the savagery murdering... and it gets more satisfying each time... My forearm has grown 1000x in size and continues to burn! I have one large rock left and a small one! Tomorrow is the day! fresh clean start.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am continuing the savagery murdering... and it gets more satisfying each time... My forearm has grown 1000x in size and continues to burn! I have one large rock left and a small one! Tomorrow is the day! fresh clean start.
Awesome! That is what it takes: simple savagery.

Managing the pest going forward... here is what I am doing: cut back on particulate feeding. Reefroids and Frenzy -- products that I do like -- are going in the freezer. Also rinsing mysis. I don't know if this helps, just what I am trying.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! That is what it takes: simple savagery.

Managing the pest going forward... here is what I am doing: cut back on particulate feeding. Reefroids and Frenzy -- products that I do like -- are going in the freezer. Also rinsing mysis. I don't know if this helps, just what I am trying.
What do you mean by particulate ?

So freezing foods and such to feed frozen ? I've never rinses frozen foods

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by particulate ?

So freezing foods and such to feed frozen ? I've never rinses frozen foods

I am stopping the practice of feeding particulate (coral) foods like Reefroids to slow the pace of vermetid growth. The corals will have to eat just normal fish poop. Like they do in the real world.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am stopping the practice of feeding particulate (coral) foods like Reefroids to slow the pace of vermetid growth. The corals will have to eat just normal fish poop. Like they do in the real world.
I'll join - maybe once a month instead of weekly

Maybe I was using too much per feeding

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a lot of snails. I've got some but usually just ignore them, but you've got a happy colony going.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am continuing the savagery murdering... and it gets more satisfying each time... My forearm has grown 1000x in size and continues to burn! I have one large rock left and a small one! Tomorrow is the day! fresh cqlean start.
That is great!. Admire your perseverance. I personally gave up after long hours of forearm exercise!. Now I convinced myself they are just an ugly member of my cuc. :p

Haberdasher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had what you have. I was unable to defeat them. Had to tear down the tank and rebuild.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first eradication process is complete. I wish I didn't have to do it again but obviously I didn't get rid of them all so In a week I'll hit them again but now it'll be smoother and easier. My bumble bee snails are housing the removed stalks and areas were the snails were not killed. They're more active now than ever !

I killed countless bristle worms and what I believe to be bad starfish

Photos attached

IMG_20200615_203902.jpg IMG_20200615_203908.jpg IMG_20200615_203913.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back