Need Wavemaker recomendations for nano tank

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a small wavemaker for my 13.5 invert and coral only tank. Id like it to be controllable. Not a huge flow since there will only be softies and maybe some LPS. Also, not looking to break the bank on this purchase . Looking for people to throw some ideas and experience my way on which ones might be worth considering. Thanks!

D918CC8A-7ADD-4774-A222-999AAF247D0E.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ecotech mp10, ai nero 3, hygger mini, sicce sdc, tunze 6040, reef breeders RPM, or a jebao SLW10

edit: could also try to upgrade your return pump and that could help serve as a wavepump as well? and add the VCA RFG (random flow generator) nozzles for the return line.

Last edited:

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used mp10, Nero 3, Sicce SDC or Tunze 6040. Or brand new Reef Breeders RPM or a Jebao SLW10. Really depends on your budget and what deals you can find.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the most I want to spent is a nero3. I was a little worried about the tunze6040 because it looks like the blade is exposed. Not sure how I feel about that???? Thoughts?. I will look into some of those others as well

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a small wavemaker for my 13.5 invert and coral only tank. Id like it to be controllable. Not a huge flow since there will only be softies and maybe some LPS. Also, not looking to break the bank on this purchase . Looking for people to throw some ideas and experience my way on which ones might be worth considering. Thanks!

D918CC8A-7ADD-4774-A222-999AAF247D0E.jpeg
As @shakacuz suggested, you could go with the Random Flow Generator® and an upgraded return pump - something in the 300 to 450+ GPH range.

Since you are leaning towards LPS and softies , you probably could get away without an addition power head in this tank, which may be the most economical option.

For the Fluvial 13.5 you have two options - dual 1/4in RFGs, or a singe 1/2in RFG. Given your aquascape (which is nice by the way) , either option would work well.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its definitely
As @shakacuz suggested, you could go with the Random Flow Generator® and an upgraded return pump - something in the 300 to 450+ GPH range.

Since you are leaning towards LPS and softies , you probably could get away without an addition power head in this tank, which may be the most economical option.

For the Fluvial 13.5 you have two options - dual 1/4in RFGs, or a singe 1/2in RFG. Given your aquascape (which is nice by the way) , either option would work well.
return pump is an option I considered. However, I figured it would be easier to find a wavemaker to fit in my tank rather than searching for stronger return that would hopefully fit in my chamber.

I like the dual because I like keeping one pointed up for surface agitation, but with the stock pump, there just isn't any flow in the tank. There is currently snail poop sitting all over the sand bed, so I need something that is going to help get that back into the water column. I'm not opposed to upgrading the return, but I do like the pulsing, or wave mode control options on the alternative.

Do you have any thoughts about this product https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/current-usa-eflux-wave-pump-kit.html

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small hyggers are about the size of a silver dollar. They give off soft flow at an angle.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the most I want to spent is a nero3. I was a little worried about the tunze6040 because it looks like the blade is exposed. Not sure how I feel about that???? Thoughts?. I will look into some of those others as well
As long as the powerhead isn't in the off position too long for fish to venture into I don't see any issue with a 6040. But that really goes for all powerhead.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back