Jebao Wavemakers

Saltywaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for opinions on all of the Jebao wavemaker series pumps. I'm looking for a budget friendly pair of pumps for my first saltwater tank. 75 gallon aqueon.
Starting off as a FOWLR tank to get started.

There are so many series and reviews are all over the place. Please share your experiences to help me out.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only Jebao wave makers that I have are the scp-150 gyres. I have had them for about 4 years and they still run fine. They move a ton of water until they get dirty, then the flow rate drops off drastically.
Overall I probably wouldn’t buy them again but only because they require more maintenance than I am willing to do.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 3 of the SLW series Sine wave pumps that have been bulletproof, honestly. They're supplemental flow front to back to get water flow between the stacks while the big Gyre 350s do the heavy lifting, but I've only had to clean them once in 2 years and have never had a problem.

Jebao stuff is hit or miss, I've had some stuff crap out quick on me, but some stuff is solid as a rock. My main return is their largest DC pump and it's an absolute workhorse. 6 years straight of continuous duty and still running with no issues since day 1.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only pumps I wouldn’t recommend are the smaller round, more “flat” looking ones (I.e Nero knockoffs - ALW, etc) - I have 5 of them across 2 systems due to space constraints and they require constant, almost bi-weekly maintenance to keep producing a reasonable flow.

The bigger round pumps (SOW, etc) are good, but bulky. They move a lot of flow, and their longevity is good.

The gyres are great, better then brand-name gyres in my experience, I own 2 in different sizes.
If I could go back in time I would use them instead of the 2 ReefWave 45s on my main system.
That being said - all gyres require frequent cleaning , regardless of the brand used.

As for problems - you’ll likely see a lot saying they are cheap and will break faster than others. However, so far they last me longer than other way more expansive pumps I own which recently started to show signs of an approaching death.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 of the mlw pumps in my 4’ 65 gallon tank. They have been great for the year I have had them. I have a small OW 10, I believe, in a 25’gallok that’s been running for about 5 years.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Jebao CP-120 on my 4 x 2 x 2 that’s run flawlessly for 14 months. It’s actually too powerful for this aquarium, should have purchased the 90. I have a newer SCP-70 on my 65 Gallon, it can Bluetooth to a second pump, also has a light sensing setting to turn pump down to 10% at night that is spot on with the ambient light. In my research on them, found out it’s best to never take them apart, just soft brush and soak in Citric Acid, if needed.

ryan265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run the biggest ones they make...sow 20 I believe...in my 265. I have never run them over 2 bars on power. As far as longevity they last just as long as the more expensive brands for 1/4 the price.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back