Need your advice!

Have you dealed with red Planaria before and did you beat it?

• Yes I had it and beat it

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No I have never had it

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Yes I have it currently

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_0822.jpeg
IMG_0823.jpeg

Just wanna make sure these are flatworms before I do this lol. Kinda hard to see but they have a distinct shape. For some reason the photo doesn't show the redish color well. Also can these guys go through a 200micron felt filter sock when I suck them out tonight. Im doing Melevs idea of recirculating the water back into the tank when I suck them out tonight.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let your nudis do their work, the flatworms aren't going to kill anything. And yes, those appear to be red planaria (they can appear clearish to redish brown).

murphys_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0822.jpeg
IMG_0823.jpeg

Just wanna make sure these are flatworms before I do this lol. Kinda hard to see but they have a distinct shape. For some reason the photo doesn't show the redish color well. Also can these guys go through a 200micron felt filter sock when I suck them out tonight. Im doing Melevs idea of recirculating the water back into the tank when I suck them out tonight.
They shouldn't make it thru a felt sock. I would have to agree. I probably wouldn't take much action unless you see coral degradation. I can't really say I've ever seen them bad enough to kill any of my coral. .... your call gonna follow along for the ride though

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let your nudis do their work, the flatworms aren't going to kill anything. And yes, those appear to be red planaria (they can appear clearish to redish brown).

Totally agree, let the nudis clean house, then move on to the flatworms

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was going to ride it out but have noticed on one of my corals the PE is not what it used to be and my torch hasn't opened to its fullest in a day. I also have corals coming from a livesale I participated in b4 I knew I had the worms. I was going to treat the tank before getting them but maybe I won't? Maybe I can find a springer damsel or a predator to control them? I really am debating if I should go through with this as I don't want the population to get so out of control that after the nudis is done(who knows when that will be couple months probably) the population has reached that critical number where it could be detremental.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TK_KW

Tyler,
Do you have any advise for Dilan with Flatworm Exit?

Freddie

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the red planaria a few years ago. 1 treatment with FWE took care of mine.
Those look awfully small. The ones I noticed right after putting a rock into my tank were larger. I hope treatment goes well with no ill effects.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think im going with predators first to give my nudis time to work and also diminish the population thus when i do treatment the toxins released are even less than now...this all is dependent on what predators are available now... Thanks for all the advice

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ride it out but have noticed on one of my corals the PE is not what it used to be and my torch hasn't opened to its fullest in a day. I also have corals coming from a livesale I participated in b4 I knew I had the worms. I was going to treat the tank before getting them but maybe I won't? Maybe I can find a springer damsel or a predator to control them? I really am debating if I should go through with this as I don't want the population to get so out of control that after the nudis is done(who knows when that will be couple months probably) the population has reached that critical number where it could be detremental.

I wouldnt be too quick to blame the flat worms for what you're seeing.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the Nudi approach first, forsure.

For myself, I had gotten Red Planaria flatworms in my coral/invert Quartine tanks,50G. I did two 5x recommended dose of flatworm exit, and it didnt work for me. Knocked down population by 90 percent I'd say, but seem these little guys are building a resistance to flat worm exit.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i bought 2 (all that was available) springeri damselfish. this will at least help my 6-line keep the population at bay maybe or slow it down at least until I can get more and a dragonett. one step in the right direction

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Little update! I was able to get my hands on 2 springeri damselfish. I have a frag tank connected to my main display so I placed 1 in each. The frag tank is only about 15 gallons but I have noticed quite the depletion of red planaria as I do not see a ton on the glass anymore as well as my black frag rack. As for the 1 damsel in my 180 its quite a big tank and he has kept his little corner clean. I can tell by looking in the opposite corner and seeing the difference on the glass. I am still looking to add about 10 more springeris because they are peaceful and are part of my "pest prevention crew". i want to also get my hands on a target mandarin for both tanks as well as a dragon face pipefish for the frag tank (since its low flow and I always thought they were cool). Any thoughts on this plan?

murphys_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update! I was able to get my hands on 2 springeri damselfish. I have a frag tank connected to my main display so I placed 1 in each. The frag tank is only about 15 gallons but I have noticed quite the depletion of red planaria as I do not see a ton on the glass anymore as well as my black frag rack. As for the 1 damsel in my 180 its quite a big tank and he has kept his little corner clean. I can tell by looking in the opposite corner and seeing the difference on the glass. I am still looking to add about 10 more springeris because they are peaceful and are part of my "pest prevention crew". i want to also get my hands on a target mandarin for both tanks as well as a dragon face pipefish for the frag tank (since its low flow and I always thought they were cool). Any thoughts on this plan?
If they don't kill each other. You may get down to having 4 or less. But if you can find 10 it be worth the effort.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got the two spotted mandarins ive been looking for. Hopefully these guys can get in the small nooks and crannies to find these flatworms :)

Back