NEED YOUR CREATIVE IDEAS AND HELP PLEASE!

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. i have gotten the urge to add a filtration system that’ll help me out with nitrates whether it be a refugium, a reactor of some sort, etcetera. the main challenge is that it will be under my tank in the cabinet and so the water flow is my biggest worry. my original idea was to put a 5 gallon refugium in there with a pump inside the fuge sucking water up to the tank and a pump inside my tank sucking water down to the fuge. i didn’t take overflow into consideration so now i’m back to 1st base. at this point, i’d just like something to bring even more quality to the water in my still maturing tank and would enjoy a small refugium the most but the issue of overflow is still there and i’m not sure how to deal with that with such little space. maybe a taller tank will help? i really hope you can help me out as i even just purchased the tunze 9400dc and it is too big for my built in sump so i’ll be returning it since i don’t want a big bulk in the display. Tank specs: 30gallon (uni tank with built in sump) , current life: 4 leathers and 3 zoa colonies + bangaii and a clown. Please help me figure out how i can have a fuge i’d really like to put some cool stuff in there /: thank you for your 2 cents. here are some pictures + dimensions! (the stuff in there will be emptied out of course)

EC0F1B6B-33E5-46E9-8E30-E482CB8EA297.jpeg AC568BEB-43F5-4C42-BBD4-D796396D80CA.jpeg 168A72BF-0168-4D6D-8753-1FCB58B27FBA.jpeg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hob overflow is always an option have had one running for a while now if power goes out no problem the syphon stays

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would this be attached to my main tank or on to the fuge?
It would hang off the back of the main tank look at eshopps overflow that’s what I run, people will say they are too much of a risk but if you keep up with Maintance it’s all good every overflow has risks.

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would hang off the back of the main tank look at eshopps overflow that’s what I run, people will say they are too much of a risk but if you keep up with Maintance it’s all good every overflow has risks.
so i’d need that with tubing leading to the fuge then a pump in the fuge with tubing to return the water back to the tank correct?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i’d need that with tubing leading to the fuge then a pump in the fuge with tubing to return the water back to the tank correct?
Yup, you can just use regular one inch pvc as well that’s what I did it’s basically plumbed like a normal tank pipes will run from hob overflow down to sump and plumping from return pump back up to tank

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you can just use regular one inch pvc as well that’s what I did it’s basically plumbed like a normal tank pipes will run from hob overflow down to sump and plumping from return pump back up to tank
ah! ok so how is the water sucked up from the main tank? does the overflow box require a pump as well?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah! ok so how is the water sucked up from the main tank? does the overflow box require a pump as well?
Nope the water is drawn out of main tank by siphon with a utube that sits in overflow box here’s a pic of mine for more understanding
They make models that have a pump Incase if power outage to make sure syphon doesn’t break but the syphon stays on these ones without a pump
0D2A49BD-12AE-4B7D-BECA-AC1C7FB32992.jpeg

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope the water is drawn out of main tank by siphon with a utube that sits in overflow box here’s a pic of mine for more understanding
They make models that have a pump Incase if power outage to make sure syphon doesn’t break but the syphon stays on these ones without a pump
0D2A49BD-12AE-4B7D-BECA-AC1C7FB32992.jpeg
you’re the man alex! i appreciate you thanks for the quick communication.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you’re the man alex! i appreciate you thanks for the quick communication.
You are very welcome I try and help as much as I can! Best of luck! Any more questions feel free to message me

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back