Is my Overflow Box Compromised and a Replacement is needed?

oceanfrank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a used SC Aquarium and was just about done cleaning the overflow box to start replumbing and noticed these Spirorbid Shells (red arrows) on the opposite side of the glass (yellow arrows) inside the overflow box. Upon review, I noticed the entire inside of the overflow box is glass (yellow arrows), with black plastic/acrylic on the outside. Between this layer is water lingering from a leak test I did earlier where these Spirorbid shells are located (red arrow). I am anticipating once the tank is up and running this space will turn into a cesspool zone for bacteria, parasites, spirorbids, etc, that I will not be able to eradicate due to lack of access Since, this is my first saltwater tank, and one with a built-in overflow box, can somebody help me understand if this is normal to have this split zone between a glass layer and plastic outside that fills with water or if I this is a compromised overflow box and I need to remove it and put a new overflow box with a single layer.

Frank
time for new Bulkhead Box?.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bought a used SC Aquarium and was just about done cleaning the overflow box to start replumbing and noticed these Spirorbid Shells on the side STILL. (This is a very difficult box to clean, due to the glass bracket on top preventing you from putting your hand inside (have to use tools on only to clean - already not a fan of this SC Aquarium due to this bracket blocking access). Upon review, I noticed the entire inside of the overflow box is glass (yellow arrows), with black plastic/acrylic on the outside. Between this layer is water lingering from a leak test I did earlier where these Spirorbid shells are located (red arrow). I am anticipating once the tank is up and running this space will turn into a cesspool zone for bacteria, parasites, spirorbids, etc, that I will not be able to eradicate due to lack of access Since, this is my first saltwater tank, and one with a built-in overflow box, can somebody help me understand if this is normal to have this split zone between a glass layer and plastic outside that fills with water or if I this is a compromised overflow box and I need to remove it and put a new overflow box with a single layer.

Frank
time for new Bulkhead Box?.jpg
A small plastic putty knife should work for shaving them off. A lg popsicle stick should also get in there

OP
OP
O

oceanfrank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small plastic putty knife should work for shaving them off. A lg popsicle stick should also get in there
The accessible area is already cleaned, what you are looking at is the area between the glass inside the overflow box and the black plastic outside layer that cannot be accessed. The question is because this area is filled with water (which tells me it is compromised) and cannot be accessed, is that an indication that the box needs to be replaced?
Glass and Plastic View.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The accessible area is already cleaned, what you are looking at is the area between the glass inside the overflow box and the black plastic outside layer that cannot be accessed. The question is because this area is filled with water (which tells me it is compromised) and cannot be accessed, is that an indication that the box needs to be replaced?
Likely a design issue and i see now, under the eurobrace trim. I wonder if you can sneak a toothbrush under there or Small nano magnet clean

OP
OP
O

oceanfrank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely a design issue and i see now, under the eurobrace trim. I wonder if you can sneak a toothbrush under there or Small nano magnet clean
Unfortunately, this space between the black plastic and the inside glass is about 1-2MM thick, and in person, you can see they baffled it back and forth with silicone calk to stick the outside plastic to the inside glass together. So there is no accessing, or clearing this area. Hence, just looking for some expertise to tell me if this is normal for overflow boxes since I have zero experience with them or if this one is compromised and I need a new one.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unfortunately, this space between the black plastic and the inside glass is about 1-2MM thick, and in person, you can see they baffled it back and forth with silicone calk to stick the outside plastic to the inside glass together. So there is no accessing, or clearing this area. Hence, just looking for some expertise to tell me if this is normal for overflow boxes since I have zero experience with them or if this one is compromised and I need a new one.
Have you considered cutting an area of the top?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be inclined to not worry about it. Many older tanks were built this way, with a glass overflow that is water tight and an acrylic cover that is not water tight. That there has been water between the two over long periods of time (thus the critter growth) does not mean compromised. I owned and ran a tank with an overflow just like this for 20 years and water between the glass and acrylic never caused any problems. If it really bothers you, you could try removing the acrylic cover. But you run the risk of either damaging it or the seal on the glass overflow,

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just literally ripped out a internal overflow for a SC aquarium, it's fine. The inner glass is what's majorly doing the overflow isolation from the display. The plastic weir setup is siliconed to the inner glass.

I can get pics of it tomorrow morning if needed to explain better.

TLDR: Don't worry and run it, you will have MANY other things to worry about, lol.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Post #63 and on...

OP
OP
O

oceanfrank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be inclined to not worry about it. Many older tanks were built this way, with a glass overflow that is water tight and an acrylic cover that is not water tight. That there has been water between the two over long periods of time (thus the critter growth) does not mean compromised. I owned and ran a tank with an overflow just like this for 20 years and water between the glass and acrylic never caused any problems. If it really bothers you, you could try removing the acrylic cover. But you run the risk of either damaging it or the seal on the glass overflow,
This was perfect info. Thank you. I went ahead and took a chance to separate the "cover" from the glass INSIDE and it worked perfectly. Discovered a whole new world...lol. In the process of cleaning it now, then I will plumb it so I can leak-test it. (there was a small leak somewhere), and finally put the cover back on with new sealant. The cover was cracked in one spot and broken in a couple of places so contacted SCA and they are looking to see if they have a new cover so I do not have to repair it. Just learned a lot, thank you for taking the time to respond.

IMG_0182 Medium.jpeg
IMG_0183 Medium.jpeg

Frank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back