Need Your Recs on Some Stuff for my 220g Mixed Reef

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on purchasing the following for my 220g Waterbox mixed reef tank, but would like to know if you guys like the below products or recommend any other products as replacements. Thanks in advance!
  1. For Return Pump : Vectra M2
  2. For flow in the tank : Two Vortech MP40WQD
  3. For skimmer : Nyos Quantum 160
  4. For media reactor : Nyos TORQ 2.0
  5. For lighting : Four AI Hydra 32 HD with Single Arm Kit
Also, we already purchased the Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off & Water Valve. Any thoughts on this ATO would be great, too!

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everything you listed is definitely considered quality equipment. The only thing people can say in this thread would be making different choices based on cost or preference. That could easily be argued for a few pages. :p

I will say that the equipment choices above will definitely work... but so will a lot of other stuff. Depending on the ratio of your "mixed" reef you might end up needing more flow or lights down the road, but that's something you can always add later and not something to necessarily change now.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything you listed is definitely considered quality equipment. The only thing people can say in this thread would be making different choices based on cost or preference. That could easily be argued for a few pages. :p

I will say that the equipment choices above will definitely work... but so will a lot of other stuff. Depending on the ratio of your "mixed" reef you might end up needing more flow or lights down the road, but that's something you can always add later and not something to necessarily change now.

Thanks for the comment. Much appreciated. Hoping to get some other recommendations based on people's experience. Always nice to hear about other products from people who have been successful with them.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the comment. Much appreciated. Hoping to get some other recommendations based on people's experience. Always nice to hear about other products from people who have been successful with them.
I've had great success and longevity out of Ecotech products. AI is in a similar territory from my personal and second hand anecdotal experience. The Nyos 160 might be a little small for your size aquarium but it really depends what kind of corals and how many fish you're planning to have.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You are using industry best equipment.
Remember this time of year - Heater ( I recommend an 800wt titanium with inkbird controller) and consider best saltmix for your needs (mixed reef) as there are many choices. I am a mixed reef person and now use Tropic Marin Actif ( was using Reef Crystals and AquaForest)
Also use ChemiPure blue as softies release toxins that affect SPS .

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great build to come. As stated before I agree the skimmer may be a bit small, you may want to look at the nyos 220. I would also recommend going for the vectra L2.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are using industry best equipment.
Remember this time of year - Heater ( I recommend an 800wt titanium with inkbird controller) and consider best saltmix for your needs (mixed reef) as there are many choices. I am a mixed reef person and now use Tropic Marin Actif ( was using Reef Crystals and AquaForest)
Also use ChemiPure blue as softies release toxins that affect SPS .

I bought a Cobalt 300W heater. I've heard mixed things about it, so I may end up returning it and going with your suggestion. I'm going to do a little more research. Thanks!

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list looks great to me, although I would get 2x titanium element heaters (600-800w) so you have redundancy; especially at this time of year.

I will be using 2x 300w titanium heaters for my Waterbox Reef 100.3 (once it arrives). BRS makes a good heater setup with a controller and power for two elements.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back