Needs Stocking Ideas for my 55-gallon reef tank

BlazeHand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to decide if keeping a saltwater aquarium is for me and I was wondering if anyone has any stocking ideas for a 55-gallon reef tank. It hasn't been set up, and I plan to cycle it before adding life to it. Does anyone have any ideas for peaceful community fish, preferably ones that are hardy and beginner friendly? I plan on adding hard and soft corals later. I have been browsing this forum for a while and found a few different stocking ideas.
I was wondering if this mix is compatible and okay for a 55-gallon tank-
  • Pincushion Urchin
  • Turbo snails x5
  • Scarlet Hermit crabs x2
  • Clownfish x2
  • Pistol shrimp & Goby combo
  • Banggai Cardinal Fish
  • Chalk Basslet
  • Falco Hawkfish
  • Condylactis Anemone
Is this okay?
I'm used to freshwater fish and that seems like a lot of fish for a 55 gallon tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your first post you haven't gotten much in the way of replies on your question(s). Let's see if that can be fixed.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I think that your fish list might be ok. I'm not certain if the Hawkfish and the clowns will work together but these are all kinda small fishes so they might get along well enough if you keep them fed to reduce aggression.

The clownfish will want a bubbletip anemone. Condy's don't host clownfish.

traffic GIF

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BlazeHand

BlazeHand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your first post you haven't gotten much in the way of replies on your question(s). Let's see if that can be fixed.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I think that your fish list might be ok. I'm not certain if the Hawkfish and the clowns will work together but these are all kinda small fishes so they might get along well enough if you keep them fed to reduce aggression.

The clownfish will want a bubbletip anemone. Condy's don't host clownfish.

traffic GIF
Thank you so much for your reply I will look into bubble tip anemone

Upvote 0

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you already have the 55g? I find this to be a bad tank size for a reef. A 40 breeder or 75g are so much nicer because they are 18” front-to-back. The anemone would likely do best in a more mature system. Overall it’s not a bad list though.

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your reply I will look into bubble tip anemone
Probably should also mention that the clowns don’t need an anemone and lots of people who have kept nems would tell you to wait a year so the tank has matured a bit and the chances of them surviving in your system will increase dramatically. It’s an ugly thing to have an anemone die in the tank.
Gl.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BlazeHand

BlazeHand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably should also mention that the clowns don’t need an anemone and lots of people who have kept nems would tell you to wait a year so the tank has matured a bit and the chances of them surviving in your system will increase dramatically. It’s an ugly thing to have an anemone die in the tank
Thank you for the tip about waiting until the tank is mature before adding the anemone. I will definitely wait for at least a year.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BlazeHand

BlazeHand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you already have the 55g? I find this to be a bad tank size for a reef. A 40 breeder or 75g are so much nicer because they are 18” front-to-back. The anemone would likely do best in a more mature system. Overall it’s not a bad list though.
I don't have the tank yet as I was trying to find out more information. The main reason I wanted a 55-gallon tank was to match my 55-gallon freshwater tank as they will be in the same room, but I will look into a 40-gallon or possibly a 75-gallon.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back