Nem dying???

gavinz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2022
Messages
275
Reaction score
193
Location
san diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best pics I could get but it’s mouth is wide open and it’s deflated, is it dying?? I’ve seen it deflated before like this and it came back but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it’s mouth open like this?? Some red stuff was coming out of it and I assume that zoax but is it’s mouth supposed to be like that ? I just added a new nem in yesterday but it was fine yesterday and all day today?

807EEDDA-C3A3-4201-899E-70D4282532B0.jpeg B55FC027-C758-47C1-87EA-3B4BB5CFB507.jpeg 857D5F50-FCEB-4937-B563-12A2F31AD538.jpeg
 
It is usually not helpful to over analyze why nems do what they do.

Gasping mouth with digestive tissue exposed is not a good sign. But plenty nems recover from that.

Consider the following to-do:
1. Immediate water change and more frequent WC this week. In case some parameters are off or some irritants are in your water. No need to test because WC is needed anyway.
2. If it shows signs of "melting", aka tentacles start to seemingly dissolve into mucus, remove from water immediately. That's when it's really dead.
 
Just checked my params and my ammonia is at .25 ppm nitrite 0 and nitrate 40 ppm!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new