Nem split coming- worried for my corals!!

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gorgeous rainbow bta that seems to be splitting. I have a tank full of coral and my buddy who gave me this nem told me they’re especially dangerous to coral. For this reason I have it in a little basket with crushed rock it attached to.

I am going out of town for 5 days tomorrow leaving my fiancée to hold down the reef fort. Any advice for her as to what she can do in the event of a split so the new one doesn’t kill corals?

72136394828__0DEEE671-2AA1-4089-A423-D3A701935BA7.jpeg

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much. BTA are a free living creature that will go where conditions are best for them. In my case that means on top of the rockwork trying to get as much light as possible. They won't kill overnight but they will sting a coral until it slowly dies off. They are really pretty but you can't exactly control them.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much. BTA are a free living creature that will go where conditions are best for them. In my case that means on top of the rockwork trying to get as much light as possible. They won't kill overnight but they will sting a coral until it slowly dies off. They are really pretty but you can't exactly control them.
Well, before leaving for my trip I accidentally sucked my rainbow nem up into a hose I was doing a wc with. The nem was displeased, but is ok. I’m guessing I probably postponed the upcoming split until after I get home so maybe a good outcome. Probably wouldn’t recommend sucking an anemone into a hose to keep it from splitting as standard advice but it seems to have panned out

ShanksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had to move all of my coral from the side of the tank i have my BTA. That thing will not stay put, basically just does laps around the same rock everyday. If my Maroon wasnt so fond of it, id probably rehome it ha.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back