Nem Walk Through

VolStateAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could y’all show off your favorite anemone and explain to me the basic care needs, please?
A friend of mine had one that grew massive very quickly and took over half the tank. I’d like something smaller that won’t cause too much harm to things.

Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could y’all show off your favorite anemone and explain to me the basic care needs, please?
A friend of mine had one that grew massive very quickly and took over half the tank. I’d like something smaller that won’t cause too much harm to things.

Thanks
I literally just picked up this little guy today. Anemones are something that you want to wait to add to your tank until its matured. Generally anywhere from 8 months to a year. Possibly sooner for more experienced reefers. They require moderate to high lighting and varying flow, each anemone has it's own individual likes and will move around your tank until it finds a spot it likes. Unfortunately this may not always be in the spot you want, but dont bother fighting with it. As soon as you remove it and put it in a different spot, if it doesnt like it itll just let go again. They generally don't require direct feeding, but it can be done using chunks of meaty food. But dont do it to often as they are able to be overfed. I hope you've found this info useful and I hope others will chime in with even more useful info for you :)

View attachment 20180603_145205.jpg

OP
OP
VolStateAquatics

VolStateAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just picked up this little guy today. Anemones are something that you want to wait to add to your tank until its matured. Generally anywhere from 8 months to a year. Possibly sooner for more experienced reefers. They require moderate to high lighting and varying flow, each anemone has it's own individual likes and will move around your tank until it finds a spot it likes. Unfortunately this may not always be in the spot you want, but dont bother fighting with it. As soon as you remove it and put it in a different spot, if it doesnt like it itll just let go again. They generally don't require direct feeding, but it can be done using chunks of meaty food. But dont do it to often as they are able to be overfed. I hope you've found this info useful and I hope others will chime in with even more useful info for you :)

View attachment 20180603_145205.jpg

Thank you! I suppose I’ll be waiting lol

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like the rule of time for anemones. I added multiple before my tank even hit the 3 month mark and I’ve never lost any. I know have 7 or 8 anemones across 3 species and all are doing well and growing. Let’s see some shots of your tank and go from there. If you are up to LPS and SPS, I say go for it. Like said above, they do like medium to high light and will move whenever they want to.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my BTA way too early but Lucy is doing fine. She did get much bigger than I thought, or would like. She's split a couple of times and I sell off all but one and she starts growing again.

I also have a mini maxi and two rock flowers. They do pick their own spots - the mini maxi and one rock flower move behind my rock work. Argh. I'm thinking of adding another powerhead to create more current in the front of the tank to encourage them to stay up front and then add more. I find them colorful and easy.

OP
OP
VolStateAquatics

VolStateAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only running tank is a 10 gallon. I have an empty 20 gallon(this is where I would like the nem) and an empty 90 (setting up after I move). Here’s my current 10 gallon setups corals, though.
7a92cea3ccb41ef94b11c21d0152804c.jpg
0ee4f0f0ea89e52c4bde48deb523c6a4.jpg
c72ed08ee620a1236ae15e0e967a2d78.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back