Nem went for a walk, lost his tentacles

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems my BTA decided to go for a walk about, after several weeks of being good and happy.

I checked my parameters and everything was good. In day two of his walk about, the water got murky overnight. Tested again, and nothing outstanding. So I swapped the carbon filter in my intank media tray and did a 20% water change.
20210303_083408.jpg

Water was clear the next day, but noticed the bubble tip had lost some tentacles and my peppermint shrimp were eating them as they fell off.

Any chance it will recover? I don't have a sick tank, so will need to either buy one or take it back to LFS to heal.

OP
OP
lordthaxto

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that happening. Did it walk into your power head or are they falling off from an infection?
I don't think it did, unless it happened at night. Seems more like it just melted while walking around, leaving bits here and there. Hasn't moved this morning so maybe it will settle and heal. Or die

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if powerheads didn't have cover then most likely nem walked into it during night. Keep an eye on it, if it doesn't open up in couple of days probably not going to make it and I'd remove it from tank. If it does open up, look at the mouth whether it remains open or looks like it's expelling stuff then not a good sign.

OP
OP
lordthaxto

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it stopped moving. I don't think it ever hot power heads. It's way high and super low setting. Most my flow is the return flow. Now it kinda looks like it is splitting, but some tentacles are showing now at least
20210303_111341.jpg

Guess I will just keep monitoring. But here is the whole tank, you can see thr power head is super high ( and i have it on pulse setting with low power ).
16147918309354123301488089747659.jpg

The anemone is hiding on the bottom right

99problemsandatankisone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have walked up there. I caught one of mine on the glass a couple times in the middle of the night.
dumb question are you sure it was tentacles the shrimp were eating? When my Nems poo my cleaner shrimp and goby will fight over it apparently it’s a delicacy to them

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'd be surprised how high anemones can walk, happened to me yrs ago on very 1st tank w powerhead that was high on back glass. Nem got shredded bc I forgot to put cover on. I've seen nem escape/walk out strainer that's floating on top of tank. If it was me, I'd put cover on powerhead ASAP.

OP
OP
lordthaxto

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, tentacles seem to be coming back. It's letting out a lot of skin and this big black ball
20210304_171239.jpg

Maybe dead bits its ejecting? Or just a crazy 5 day poop?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back