Neogonodactylus Wennerae Mantis Shrimp and a Green Brittle (Death) Star in a 20g Long?

ReefKeeper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Green Brittle Star that I rescued (orange wounds all over body and missing legs) who is now healthy and living in the sump of my 90g Mixed Reef. I also have a 20g Long with a N.W. Mantis Shrimp and a very large Blue Velvet Damsel (the shrimp was originally with damsel fish at the LFS as well). I know the Star is a fish hunter and tbh I'm not super concerned about the Damsel. He was given to me by a stranger/customer walking in to the LFS trying to get rid of him because he was bullying everything. I would like to put the GBS in the 20g long with the Mantis Shrimp and BVD. In the past I had another smaller BVD and a Chocolate Chip star in there as well but moved them to the 10g I have because we decided to put a few corals in the Shrimp tank. The shrimp has never bothered anything other than bulldozing the rock and obviously eating the snails I put in there for it to eat (not sure of sex). The shrimp readily eats frozen foods and raw shrimp and silversides off of a skewer. My main concern is, would the GBS eat the Mantis Shrimp? Thanks in advance for any advice and expertise

16534427709826010705507663163743.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good question . Both are predatory , I personally would like to know the outcome from someone chiming in . I’m having reservations giving you a definite answer but I would have to think the mantis could probably hold its own but can’t be sure .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ReefKeeper89

ReefKeeper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Green Brittle Star. I will try to upload the video I have of the Mantis Shrimp as well but the file may be too big. Sorry for the poor quality and please excuse the commentary. My 18 month old was trying to climb in the sump and eat an airline tube.

Attachments

• VID_20220524_184013566.mp4
    61.4 MB
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ReefKeeper89

ReefKeeper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes I know I need to clean my sump and change my socks lol. It will happen tomorrow and then my husband will be in charge while I heal from knee surgery.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back