Neon dottyback and anemone crab comparability

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clownfish that doesn’t grasp the concept of being hosted by my BTA. She randomly, seems like, picks on it to the point where it’ll deflate. It usually opens up within the hour but sometimes the clown will just keep repeating its foolery. She doesn’t do it often maybe like once a week. I’ve been on the ledge about just adding an anemone crab to see if it’ll keep the clown away and the nem happy BUT I also have a neon dottyback who I know has killed and eaten 2 of my sexy shrimp (man I loved them). Do you guys think I could accomplish adding an anemone crab to my tank or will the dottyback do it’s thang? I run a 13.5 evo.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs are much hardier than sexy shrimp, as is almost any other crustacean. Its worth a shot, but just know, no anemone crab will stop a tough and determined clown.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I was worried about the dottyback killing the crab more than anything else. Maybe the crab will show the clown how to be a good house guest?! lol

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the anemone crab goes for the anemone, the clown might fight it off, doubtful they will host the anemone together.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the clown isn’t very protective of the anemone to be honest. I’m convinced she has no idea what to do with it.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I went ahead and got the crab. I’m starting to think that my BTA is just a diva. Introduced the crab to my tank and when he/she got near the anemone, the anemone closed up. After a couple of days the anemone would open up but not fully. The crab hung out near the anemone on the rock patiently for a few days. Well, woke up this morning and I think the crab has had enough and is taking the “you’re gonna love me even if you don’t think you do” approach. This is how I found the crab this morning before leaving to work. Side note. The dottyback doesn’t seem to care about the crab nor does my clown.
B756C5F3-704A-48C9-A223-70C5CC9B2C63.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back