Neon Gobies

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bear22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bear22

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2025
Messages
588
Reaction score
446
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,

Would a blue neon goby and a yellow neon goby get along in a 11 gallon nano? Or as conspecifics would they duke it out?

Cheers!
 
I've never kept the yellow variety but I've had sharknose and the regular together with no issues. Neon gobies are a very communal species in the wild. They have a lot of personality in a group I always think they are best kept with 4-5 individuals
 
That is a very small system and they are extremely territorial. Chances are they will fight unless they are introduced as bonded pair, and that is highly unlikely.
 
Neon gobies are a very communal species in the wild. They have a lot of personality in a group I always think they are best kept with 4-5 individuals
Partly true, but context matters. The issue here is space. Feeding areas on a reef and “home” territory are two different things. In an 11 gallon tank, neither will be able to carve out home territory.
 
Partly true, but context matters. The issue here is space. Feeding areas on a reef and “home” territory are two different things. In an 11 gallon tank, neither will be able to carve out home territory.
I’ve seen groups of 20+ on a 2x2’ head of coral. They colonize on heads of brain corals and star corals in the wild. Space is not much of an issue for neon gobies. In 11 gal I’d say 3-5 could be kept easily
 
I’ve seen groups of 20+ on a 2x2’ head of coral. They colonize on heads of brain corals and star corals in the wild. Space is not much of an issue for neon gobies. In 11 gal I’d say 3-5 could be kept easily
That would be neat to see!

There is plenty of peer reviewed data regarding wild behavior and aggression only anecdotal data regarding captive aggression.

I think you will find that there is a tremendous difference between a colonized coral head in the ocean, with individual sets of bonded pairs staking micro territories and a small glass aquarium with 2 or 3 random wild captured specimens. I could be wrong,

As mentioned above, introducing a bonded pair or captive bred is the best bet. I don’t know if they are sold that way.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new