NeoPhos Instructions - layman's terms please

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please help me understand what the highlighted sections below mean in simpler language? What does it mean for a system to be "carbon limited" and why would something like NeoPhos require a carbon additive to work? I'm running a triton/ARID system which advises against carbon dosing - which I believe the below say's may be required to use NeoPhos effectively depending on the system (unless my tank turns out to not be carbon limited - step 4 instructions). Thank you

22.JPG

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does it mean for a system to be "carbon limited" and why would something like NeoPhos require a carbon additive to work?
A system is "carbon-limited" if the corals are limited in how much they can grow because of the limited availability of free carbon in the system. To contrast; a tank could be said to be "phosphate-limited" if the lack of phosphate is the thing holding them back from growing better.
The general idea of the instructions are to get the carbon, phosphate, and nitrate in the tank into balance (so that the amount of each available is roughly equal to what the life in the tank can consume). This is because adding phosphate (NeoPhos) into a tank that can't consume it would just increase the phosphate to undesirable levels. So the instructions have you add some phosphate into the tank as a test of how much is consumed. If none, then it's because the corals are "starving" for carbon. If it does get consumed, then the corals were more along the spectrum of "phosphate-limited" or "nitrate-limited". Then it's just a matter of getting those two in balance through the proper amount of NeoPhos - which will entirely depend upon your particular tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would forget all that wording they have, and just proceed to dose to your target level. Then remeasure a day or two later, see if you need to redose, and if you do, adjsut the dose as needed, and iteratively hone in on a dose that takes you to or near your target level. :)

puffer420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you dose carbon? ? I can dose phos and it doesn't rise I only get algae. No3 at 2

Reef Management LLC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering the same

I have 8 month old sps dominant tank

Nitrates are 5 to 12 and phosphate is zero im afraid im starting to get dinos i have some slime started on rocks with bubbles on ends

Should i dose neophos???

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 33.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back