Nephthea in an SPS tank, chemical warfare?

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have a green nephthea in a small 30 gal tank. It's the only softy in the tank isolated on its own rock. It well spaced away from things. I'm considering taking it out because I'm worried that as it grows larger it could release chemicals that harm other coral. It's a cool coral but I'm willing to give it up in a heartbeat if it means there's a chance it would affect the SPS. I'm not running carbon nor do I want to.

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See photo

Attachments

• IMG_0212.jpeg
    IMG_0212.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 43

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually wondering the same thing. As with most topics researched in the reefing world I'm finding answers across the spectrum and I have a beautiful one in my 25 gallon which I'm starting to restock after a mysterious chalice acan acro crash and now I'm wondering if the small Palau nepthea was part of the problem. I didn't run carbon but maybe I should this time around or maybe sell the nepthea if I want to go back to more chalice, acans and a couple acros again. I personally don't think think the nepthea was the cause as it's only a few inches tall but then again 25 gallons of water is a pretty small world to keep the variety of species we keep from all over the world.
Anyone have success with both nepthea and sps in nano sized reefs? Like for years at a time?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back