Neptune apex classic?

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can buy one for $200. Is it easy to setup? Do they still work even though they are 4+ Years old? Does anyone have the classic and new version that can tell me how they are?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the classic for 6 years up until I sold it before my temporary hiatus. I wouldn’t hesitate to get one again. Only issue I ever had was when my display went bad and that was after about 4 years. Pretty simple to set up and figure out. Only tedious part is renaming the outlets

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the classic for 6 years up until I sold it before my temporary hiatus. I wouldn’t hesitate to get one again. Only issue I ever had was when my display went bad and that was after about 4 years. Pretty simple to set up and figure out. Only tedious part is renaming the outlets
Ok. What connections/outlets do I need for the wall for it to plug in? How do you rename the outlets?

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the classic with no problems, unless you want to use a trident, flow monitoring or possible dosing it will be more than enough. You need the base unit, display and atleast 1 of the power straps for it to work. Also, probes, temp, ph, etc

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. What connections/outlets do I need for the wall for it to plug in? How do you rename the outlets?
You should be able to plug it in out of the box. Just the energy bar plugs in. I don’t remember how to rename the outlets exactly but you just have to toggle through some of the options

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to plug it in out of the box. Just the energy bar plugs in. I don’t remember how to rename the outlets exactly but you just have to toggle through some of the options
It's easier to do all of this through fusion on the computer than the handheld display

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both the Apex Classic Jr. and the Apex EL. Some of the newer modules wont work on the classic, but for that price absolutely go for it. Use Apex Fusion, not the screen, way easier to work with.

Reefer508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an Apex classic you need to hardwire to your router for firmware updates. You can use a WiFi adapter to connect to your network after the update if the hardwire is a problem. You need to have it connected the internet to access Fusion. I still run an Apex classic and also a newer Apex. I leave the classic hardwired to my router for internet access.

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the classic with no problems, unless you want to use a trident, flow monitoring or possible dosing it will be more than enough. You need the base unit, display and atleast 1 of the power straps for it to work. Also, probes, temp, ph, etc
Is the display necessary?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The classic is a superior unit to the "2016" IMO. Solid, just works, wired connection, no fluff.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is the display necessary?
I have display on each of my apex units. You will need it for at least setting up your acct and fusion.
$200 is an average price and Apex does support this unit

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for everyone, if I don’t have an Ethernet cable how can I connect it to the app or wifi?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can buy one for $200. Is it easy to setup? Do they still work even though they are 4+ Years old? Does anyone have the classic and new version that can tell me how they are?
I found a NIB one a few months ago and tried to set it up, it was a nightmare, I couldn't get it to firmware update (was unusable without update) despite 2 weeks of tech support with Neptune. Ended up sending it back and getting the new one, which I had set up in about 20 minutes.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for everyone, if I don’t have an Ethernet cable how can I connect it to the app or wifi?
You can use a wireless wifi "dongle" believe that's what they call it. But I am 99% sure that you will need the display to initially set it up, also to reset it if you ever have a wifi connection issue.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back