Neptune Apex Owners - I need some help!

Pieces of the Ocean

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the name of the probe is indeed called "Temp". On mine it's actually called "Tempx4".

kayl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your Heater programmed "set ON" it is continuously on. This line needs to be deleted from your code. The set function is for things that continually run like return pumps. I don't remember if the apex reads bottom to top or top to bottom, but that line is useless for your code.

@Monroe, what results did my suggestions provide?

True. I forgot to mention that. The ON statement is useless
The Apex reads from top to bottom

With the "Set On" statement in the previously listed code, the heater will be on at 78.7* and 78.8*, so it isn't exactly useless...

How do you know that your heaters aren't turning on? What's your current tank temp? What temperature are the heaters set to turn on at? If the heater is set to turn on a 77* via it's internal temp. controller, the Apex's turning the outlet on at 78.6* will not do anything.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "set" function on the apex is a continuous function. If set on, the outlet will not turn off. As the code executes, it will read fallback statement, move to next line turn the outlet on due to set on statement, it will move to the next line and apply the if statement, then the next line and apply the if statement. Keeping the desired temperature.

Without the set on statement the code will read fallback statement, move to next line, execute if statement, move to next line, execute if statement. Maintaining the desired temperature.

The code will work the same with or without the set on statement, making it useless.

kayl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "set" function on the apex is a continuous function. If set on, the outlet will not turn off. As the code executes, it will read fallback statement, move to next line turn the outlet on due to set on statement, it will move to the next line and apply the if statement, then the next line and apply the if statement. Keeping the desired temperature.

Without the set on statement the code will read fallback statement, move to next line, execute if statement, move to next line, execute if statement. Maintaining the desired temperature.

The code will work the same with or without the set on statement, making it useless.

Nope, you're wrong. The set code merely sets the outlet to that state before running through the program. The Apex evaluates code from top to bottom.

Take my email alarm statement for example:

Set OFF
If Temp > 80.9 Then ON
If Temp < 76.8 Then ON
If Power Apex Off 000 Then ON
If pH > 08.70 Then ON
If pH < 07.60 Then ON
Defer 000:30 Then ON
If Outlet NetworkTest = ON Then ON
If Outlet PumpCheck = ON Then ON

The outlet register starts in the OFF state each time the apex processes the code. If one of the following conditions returns ON, the outlet register changes to ON and an email is sent once the Apex processes through all of the code.

Here's a quote from the Unofficial Apex New User guide - a great reference if you haven't checked it out yet:

"The Set statement is used to establish the starting point for this outlet's register state for this run through the program - it initializes the outlet."

OP
OP
Monroereef

Monroereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - Here is what the issue was.

I had 4 heaters in 4 outlets. Each one was supposed to go off when temp hit 80.
However, if one of the outlet was not in sync with the other 3, then none turned on when temp fell below 79.

I had to turn off all the 4 outlets (by setting higher temp). Then set the desired temp and they all came on as expected.

I would say that the Neptune customer support was A++.

Thanks for all the comments.

Sunny

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a nice email alert code, and a variable initialization is required. However for the heater code we are discussing (as written), the set on function is redundant. One of the if statement turns on the outlet and the other turns it off. To make it not redundant with a set initialization it should be written like this:

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If temp > 80 then OFF

Or whatever temp you prefer

I have used the following code for over two years with no problems

Fallback OFF
If temp < 78 then ON
If temp > 80 then OFF

I do not use an initialization in almost any of my simple codes, including lights, powerheads (waves), heaters, feed and clean cycles or whatever else. I have never had problems, each programmer will have their own preferences. There is nothing wroq
ng with the code as written, I was just stating it has a redundant statement. Excuse any simple mistakes I an typing this on my iPhone at the gym without my glasses.

Edit: also without the initialization, the outlet will stay off until the temp gets below the desired on temp then stay on till the temp exceeds the desired off temp. Rather then switch on for a millisecond each time the apex refreshes.

Brandon

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i obviously still have a lot to learn with the apex. pretty confusing to me, but thanks for pointing these things out i changed my code.
With your Heater programmed "set ON" it is continuously on. This line needs to be deleted from your code. The set function is for things that continually run like return pumps. I don't remember if the apex reads bottom to top or top to bottom, but that line is useless for your code.

@Monroe, what results did my suggestions provide?

kayl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True- it's not doing much in the heater statement. I think you said it write -different programmer preference :)

I misunderstood what you were saying - I thought that you meant that if you wrote "SET ON" initially that the outlet would always be on.

FYI- The outlet will not turn on for a millisecond each time the code processes; the outlet state is only changed once the entire outlet code has been processed and it returns a different state than that it was in prior to the refresh :)

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - Here is what the issue was.

I had 4 heaters in 4 outlets. Each one was supposed to go off when temp hit 80.
However, if one of the outlet was not in sync with the other 3, then none turned on when temp fell below 79.

I had to turn off all the 4 outlets (by setting higher temp). Then set the desired temp and they all came on as expected.

I would say that the Neptune customer support was A++.

Thanks for all the comments.

Sunny

Wow! That probably would have taken a very long time to troubleshoot in the boards. Good thing you gave customer service a call. Glad to hear you got it fixed, whenever things get more complex...the problems get more simple but way harder to track down (and way more plentiful).

Brandon

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back