Neptune Apex WiFi issues?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am looking for feedback from Apex (latest gen) users regarding wifi connection stability and reliability.

I currently own another brand of controller and the WiFi connection is a constant headache. Connection falls several tines a day, sometimes it recovers, sometimes it doesn’t. This is a major issue for me because I am away from the tank during the week so it leaves me blind. I am deeply invested in this system, also owning a KH monitoring device but again, I Am at my wits end after two years of struggle and what use is a monitoring device if I cannot see whats going on.

Never tried Apex, so I do not know if this is a common problem with these controllers because they have poorly spec’d Wifi boards and regardless of brand it is best to use wired connection.

I have 1GB download speeds (theoretical, usually around 400Mb/s over wifi) and one of those fancy modems with 2,4Ghz and 5,0Ghz bands, “intelligent” channel management (whatever that means), Bla bla bla tech jargon. My current controler only works in 2,4Ghz bands.

So my question to users of latest gen Apex is: how does your wifi connection work?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine works great. Very basic router setup (just provided by ISP), and apex units are up to a couple hundred feet away and rarely if ever lose connection. It even graphs out any connectivity loss, to show the quality of the signal it’s getting. If you have a few bars of WiFi on your phone/smart device, the apex should be fine.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine works great. Very basic router setup (just provided by ISP), and apex units are up to a couple hundred feet away and rarely if ever lose connection. It even graphs out any connectivity loss, to show the quality of the signal it’s getting. If you have a few bars of WiFi on your phone/smart device, the apex should be fine.
Thanks! At least with my current controller it seems that the more sophisticated the router the more issues they have. Dual bands, intelligent channel assignment, etc, all of these seem to phase them out. In fact the manufacturer advised me to by a cheap wifi extender with only 2,4Ghz band and use that to connect the controller.

Hopefully more people will chime in with their experiences.

Jash1k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy with my Apex, got it a 1.5 years ago. I added the DOS and the only issue Ive had was that the DDR went out and the apex couldnt find it. After about 4 months it came back on my apex fusion display. Weird but happy. I was going to send it in to get it fixed but I wanted to wait. The Wifi connection is really good and I do lose connection rarely but a push of a button connects to Wifi quickly. Also the lastest Wifi mesh options seem to work better than extenders.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back