Neptune Auto Feeder Fail!

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, went to adjust my Neptune auto feeder tonight and while trying pulling out the drum the front cap came off instead which released about a million crossover diet pellets into the tank (about a half drum worth).

So first, anyone with this feeder, BE CAREFUL! This wasn't on my radar as a possibility but now that it happened I really can't see how it wouldn't happen again. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to get the drum out without pulling on the front cap.

I've been fishing pellets out of my tank for the last 2 hours and got about 90% of them out of the tank. I've got a huge chaeto ball and over sized skimmer which I'm hoping will absorb the remaining excess nutrients. But, in the case that this doesn't handle the load, how soon would nitrates and phosphates spike from something like this?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 to 12 hrs you can expect spikes. Run the skimmer wet a few days and few water changes over next day or 2.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, went to adjust my Neptune auto feeder tonight and while trying pulling out the drum the front cap came off instead which released about a million crossover diet pellets into the tank (about a half drum worth).

So first, anyone with this feeder, BE CAREFUL! This wasn't on my radar as a possibility but now that it happened I really can't see how it wouldn't happen again. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to get the drum out without pulling on the front cap.

I've been fishing pellets out of my tank for the last 2 hours and got about 90% of them out of the tank. I've got a huge chaeto ball and over sized skimmer which I'm hoping will absorb the remaining excess nutrients. But, in the case that this doesn't handle the load, how soon would nitrates and phosphates spike from something like this?
I do exactly the same so your not on your own! Lol I thought it was me being stupid!

Anybody have any ideas off how to pull the drum out without pulling the cap off?

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after 12+ hours there is no change in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or phosphate. All are still at zero with no water change (I'm running Triton and really don't want to do one unless absolutely necessary). Even after in my genius over cleaning my skimmer and causing it to go into break in mode and not produce skimmate :rolleyes:. This tank can really take a lot of punishment :).

Now if I've made it this far with no change am I out of the woods or can things show up down the road still?

sprouseod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Neptune feeder stopped working about a week ago. Sits at the 1/2 open position, green light a the usb port. Anyone else have this problem?

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after 12+ hours there is no change in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or phosphate. All are still at zero with no water change (I'm running Triton and really don't want to do one unless absolutely necessary). Even after in my genius over cleaning my skimmer and causing it to go into break in mode and not produce skimmate [emoji57]. This tank can really take a lot of punishment :).

Now if I've made it this far with no change am I out of the woods or can things show up down the road still?

Man I do the same thing once every few months, with a well established tank it can definitely handle the extra nutrients. I’m also running triton and a WC is just not an option so I just let it ride haha. You’ll notice the cheato grow a lot. Also I 4 out of 5 times just take my AFS’s off the tank first.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Neptune feeder stopped working about a week ago. Sits at the 1/2 open position, green light a the usb port. Anyone else have this problem?

Yikes. If it gets stuck half way what's saying it couldn't get stuck on. I just don't trust this thing anymore.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back