NEPTUNE DOS ‘skipping’ while doing Auto Water Change

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone see this issue before? I get a ‘skipping’ on the left side during the auto water change. It’s fine in regular dose mode. I changed the head and have the same problem. Hoping someone has seen this and could help with troubleshooting. I opened a ticket with Neptune as well.

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen that. But I'm curious why it would be a bad thing. I guess it depends on your AWC schedule. I have mine running for 2 hours a night and during that time I set my apex to turn off my other DOS for alk and cal.

csturgis1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen that. But I'm curious why it would be a bad thing. I guess it depends on your AWC schedule. I have mine running for 2 hours a night and during that time I set my apex to turn off my other DOS for alk and cal.
It would be bad because it is removing and adding water unproportionately.

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The problem is the pump is not moving water at the same pace as the right side. I would say it’s only getting a third or half of the water. Since it’s an AWC, and that pump is the ‘add new water ‘ side, i the right pump is pulling more water than my left is adding. So my ATO fills in fresh water to make it up and it’s lowering my salinity.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New DOS or has it been in operation a while?

Might want to contact Neptune if it's a newer DOS. If you replaced the head, and it's still doing it, I would think it's a motor issue which should be covered under warranty.

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New DOS or has it been in operation a while?

Might want to contact Neptune if it's a newer DOS. If you replaced the head, and it's still doing it, I would think it's a motor issue which should be covered under warranty.
It’s been in operation about two years now with heads being changed yearly. I have a ticket opened with Neptune but not sure how their response time is as I’ve never had to open a ticket before.

csturgis1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the pump act the same way when you push the manual button or when you select on in the dashboard?

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does the pump act the same way when you push the manual button or when you select on in the dashboard?
It does not. When at regular steady pace, it seem to move steadily. I feel the speed of the AWC mode is causing the connection to the head to slip. I don’t see any issue with the connection ‘+’ shape (no broken/chipped pieces)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) have you recently changed the hose in the head? Is it the correct length? Slight short is better than slight long, in this case.
2) did you make sure the hose is well greased?

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1) have you recently changed the hose in the head? Is it the correct length? Slight short is better than slight long, in this case.
2) did you make sure the hose is well greased?
I changed the entire head with a brand new one but still see the issue. I don’t think it’s the head, but more of the connection to the head (or the motor inside)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed the entire head with a brand new one but still see the issue. I don’t think it’s the head, but more of the connection to the head (or the motor inside)
So the whole head and hose assembly was built before you got it.
Can you pop the cover off and make sure everything is lined up correctly?

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the whole head and hose assembly was built before you got it.
Can you pop the cover off and make sure everything is lined up correctly?
Are you referring to the head specifically? I tried three heads with the same result. If you’re talking about the DOS device, I have not taken that cover off yet. Was waiting to see what Neptune Support says.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to the head specifically? I tried three heads with the same result. If you’re talking about the DOS device, I have not taken that cover off yet. Was waiting to see what Neptune Support says.
The left head as an assembly.
This is how you bought it.
For myself, I buy hose and roller assembly. I made the mistake of making the hose slightly long and it skipped and jumped.
So I cut just a tiny bit off and put another zip tie on it. Works perfectly.
Also, if you were to just take the left head cover off just to make sure the hose is not getting pinched and it's all sitting in there correctly, and well greased.

20220420_181832.jpg 20220420_182609.jpg 20220420_182626.jpg

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The left head as an assembly.
This is how you bought it.
For myself, I buy hose and roller assembly. I made the mistake of making the hose slightly long and it skipped and jumped.
So I cut just a tiny bit off and put another zip tie on it. Works perfectly.
Also, if you were to just take the left head cover off just to make sure the hose is not getting pinched and it's all sitting in there correctly, and well greased.

20220420_181832.jpg 20220420_182609.jpg 20220420_182626.jpg
Ah, I got you now. I bought the assembly as a unit from the factory. The head was working fine for many months before it started happening. Two other head replacements show the same problem, so thinking it’s the base unit and not the heads.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I got you now. I bought the assembly as a unit from the factory. The head was working fine for many months before it started happening. Two other head replacements show the same problem, so thinking it’s the base unit and not the heads.
Gotcha, yes, see what they say.
Sounds like it could be the coupling.

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this and hope you're able to get it fixed. I recently had to replace my heads for the same reason. I've only had it in place for a little over a year so it was my first experience. I didn't realize that more water was being added than removed. The excess would evaporate off and raised my salinity. Fortunately I caught it before I had a total crash and I only lost one sps frag and a chalice frag. But it was definitely high.

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All, I heard back from Neptune Support. They correctly diagnosed the issue as a clogged/pinched line. It must have created back pressure and impacted the pump causing it to skip. Neptune support was awesome!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back