Neptune MXM fallback function doesn't always work (be carful controlling your return pump with it)

dej4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a scary experience with my MXM linked to EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40 QD and Vectra S2. I was changing my Apex WiFi configuration, which followed by a restart. After the restart everything in Apex Fusion looked as usual, it was reporting that both devices were running as previously configured. Luckily I was near the aquarium to hear that the return line started to gurgle. To my surprise both devices were running at minimum power. They were not completely off, but what is most important, they were not running the fallback profile neither (fallback was setup to match the Apex configuration).

Since the incident I was not able to control them via MXM, so I had to unlink them.

Etto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my MP40s turned off past several weeks. I turned them on last night and had no control in mobius or Apex. Apex appeared to be altering them but didn't actually change the settings.
Thanks to your post I disconnected and reconnected and they are working again fine.

Thanks

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help but wonder why people aren't talking about the MXM more? Perhaps I'm just missing the threads.

I synched my G6's to the MXM - it worked flawlessly for a few weeks. I felt accomplished. On Monday my lights were randomly turning on and off. I disconnected them, spent an hour setting the program up in Mobius and left to run some errands.

I returned a few hours later to find my L2 at minimum speed. I had to disconnect it from the MXM to get it back to normal speed. So now I've got nothing attached to this $129 piece of plastic.

Lights, return pumps, wave makers, the literal LIFEBLOOD of our tanks, and it doesn't work reliably. At least when you can't connect to Mobius the devices keep working.

I'm frustrated to say the least. I'm just hoping for a magic firmware at some point to fix the issues. Again though, the silence is deafening.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have you guys reached out to Neptune support? Or posted in the Neptune community forum? I have not seen many MXM problem threads over there (although sometimes one will pop up). I've had good experience with the Neptune support team on a non-MXM issue.

It's still a decently new product. I'm not surprised there are still some occasional bugs to squash. But that's the best way to get them addressed.

I haven't had any issues with mine yet. The only things it's currently controlling are my MP10, AI Primes and AI Blade Fuge lights. But in the coming months I'm setting up a new/larger tank that I will be using a Vectra with. So help Neptune work out the kinks before I do that lol

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you guys set up your fallback?

I just want to be sure you guys are doing it in mobius and ensuring that they are programmed correctly so that if you do lose connection with mxm you're basically connected to mobous and running the schedule that is saved in mobius.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys reached out to Neptune support? Or posted in the Neptune community forum? I have not seen many MXM problem threads over there (although sometimes one will pop up). I've had good experience with the Neptune support team on a non-MXM issue.

It's still a decently new product. I'm not surprised there are still some occasional bugs to squash. But that's the best way to get them addressed.

I haven't had any issues with mine yet. The only things it's currently controlling are my MP10, AI Primes and AI Blade Fuge lights. But in the coming months I'm setting up a new/larger tank that I will be using a Vectra with. So help Neptune work out the kinks before I do that lol
I have not yet, but I will. It's not REQUIRED hardware and outside being out $129, it has no impact on me. It will be quite some time before I hook any critical device to the MXM.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just want to be sure you guys are doing it in mobius and ensuring that they are programmed correctly so that if you do lose connection with mxm you're basically connected to mobous and running the schedule that is saved in mobius.
I'd be open to reviewing a document on how to do it properly. In the case of the lights, I admittedly had no program in Mobius. The L2 on the other hand was calibrated and set to 86% in Mobius as well as set to 86% at the MXM.

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'd be open to reviewing a document on how to do it properly. In the case of the lights, I admittedly had no program in Mobius. The L2 on the other hand was calibrated and set to 86% in Mobius as well as set to 86% at the MXM.
Check out my thread on the MXM. I don't know if the problem is still happening, but I don't want to risk it with things that could crash my tank.

OP
OP
D

dej4n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I configured the fallback as described in MXM installation guide. Which is, after the linking and setting up the schedule in Apex, I went back to Mobius and configured the Fallback Schedule.

Yes, I did contact Neptune support. It was more to report an issue, hopping that they would see a pattern if there are others reporting the same. The response though was to reconnect the MXM, pair the devices back, and I guess to try my luck again. Which I do not plan to do, at least not without a firmware update. As a possibility that my pump shuts off again while I'm at work is not something I can gamble with.

Regarding the other Neptune products, I'm more than happy. For the last 2.5 years, I had only 1 failure, the utility pump v2. Also, as a programmer by trade, I like scripting automation, which never failed me or produced unexpected result. For illustration I've attached screenshot of Apex components I use.

Attachments

• Apex setup.png
    Apex setup.png
    155.4 KB · Views: 39

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back