MXM may cause issues with your date & time settings on the Mobius app and possibly crash your tank

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This may just be a case of correlation ≠ causation, but I had all my Mobius devices in one tank group in the Mobius app, and all except one device is managed by the MXM. That device is a Versa dosing pump, since it's not yet supported by the MXM.

Ever since I've linked that group to MXM, the tank group's time & date will constantly change to a random date and time. Even after changing it back to the correct time, it will eventually change again within a few hours to a few minutes. I am not sure exactly what is causing it, but I'm convinced it's the MXM module, because I decided to move the Versa to its own tank group, and haven't had the problem of the time changing anymore. I can still look at the main group and see that the time continues to change to something completely off, though.

It's worth noting that the devices are not all on one physical tank. I have two tanks, each positioned at the far ends of my house, so it could possibly be a case of a device momentarily losing connection to MXM, going to its fallback setting, and somehow resetting the time & date on that tank group?

This is also not a case of the clock drifting forward, like some issues with Mobius in the past. It will choose a completely random date & time, like 3am March 26th 2050. This can be potentially disastrous if someone were to be dosing using a Versa, and the time keeps changing and causing the Versa to overdose the tank and potentially crash it, even with a daily dosing limit set on the pump, since the time & date gets reset, the daily dosage tracking also gets reset.

The current workaround to this problem that I've found is to move all your devices that are not managed by the MXM to a different tank group in Mobius. MXM managed devices do not seem to be affected by the time & date issue, probably because they're being controlled by the Apex and running off the Apex's time schedule. Just thought I'd bring this to attention, because I can't find anything about this issue, or any past issues like this from the Mobius app.

Last edited:

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you’re experiencing this, but I’m running an A3 with the MXM and have experienced no issues whatsoever.

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna add that I have the mxm with apex Jr and set it to run Saxby program and thought all was good adjusted my points and hit save. Well today I left to do a few things and came back to all my lights running full blast. I went into fission and saw that all my settings were changed, even my Nero pumps that were off. If it happens again I'm going back to the ai app because had I not burned vacation it could've went on for days and killed off every coral.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at this controller thread and it is literally every other thread is break fix issues with Apex. Why are people buying it?
You principally see more threads on failures because that is usually when people will complain. Compare that to happy people sharing their experiences.

Speaking of which, I had a few issues early on because I fidgeted a lot early on. Tons of programming if you choose. Since then, I have not touched any aspect of my controller or the devices it controls expect but for maintenance in the past year and a half.

laxer23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You principally see more threads on failures because that is usually when people will complain. Compare that to happy people sharing their experiences.

Speaking of which, I had a few issues early on because I fidgeted a lot early on. Tons of programming if you choose. Since then, I have not touched any aspect of my controller or the devices it controls expect but for maintenance in the past year and a half.
Yeah, I don't know about that. Everyone seems to agree the old Apex was solid. Given the ongoing massive thread about the EB832 failures, this new MXM issue, and a couple others that are very frequently mentioned. To me I see critical failures that will kill your tank and that's opposite reason you get a controller. To me, watching various FB groups and this forum, Hydros and GHL seem the most solid as far as equipment goes. Apex does have I think the nicest looking GUI.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't know about that. Everyone seems to agree the old Apex was solid. Given the ongoing massive thread about the EB832 failures, this new MXM issue, and a couple others that are very frequently mentioned. To me I see critical failures that will kill your tank and that's opposite reason you get a controller. To me, watching various FB groups and this forum, Hydros and GHL seem the most solid as far as equipment goes. Apex does have I think the nicest looking GUI.
I have both Apex A1 Junior, A2 and GHL Profilux
None of the devices gives me now any connection issues, but Profilux, although solid is PITA to set-up.
Apex is poorly build in my opinion, but has got solid interface, unfortunately some modules are not up to par.
Got MXM recently and after running it for few days, decided to go back to Mobius. It seem to me that MXM was prematurely released, without full functionality and as I learn now, perhaps some glitches.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a hydra 32 and a few days after setting up there was a firmware update. Ever since the time now resets to 1 Jan 1970. I have emailed AI their response was Uninstaller myAI and use mobius and factory reset hydra. Did everything they said and it's still doing it but maybe only once a day. Driving me nuts

OP
OP
Baka Mop

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just bought a hydra 32 and a few days after setting up there was a firmware update. Ever since the time now resets to 1 Jan 1970. I have emailed AI their response was Uninstaller myAI and use mobius and factory reset hydra. Did everything they said and it's still doing it but maybe only once a day. Driving me nuts
Try putting it in its own tank group with nothing else in it and see if it still changes

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may just be a case of correlation ≠ causation, but I had all my Mobius devices in one tank group in the Mobius app, and all except one device is managed by the MXM. That device is a Versa dosing pump, since it's not yet supported by the MXM.

Ever since I've linked that group to MXM, the tank group's time & date will constantly change to a random date and time. Even after changing it back to the correct time, it will eventually change again within a few hours to a few minutes. I am not sure exactly what is causing it, but I'm convinced it's the MXM module, because I decided to move the Versa to its own tank group, and haven't had the problem of the time changing anymore. I can still look at the main group and see that the time continues to change to something completely off, though.

It's worth noting that the devices are not all on one physical tank. I have two tanks, each positioned at the far ends of my house, so it could possibly be a case of a device momentarily losing connection to MXM, going to its fallback setting, and somehow resetting the time & date on that tank group?

This is also not a case of the clock drifting forward, like some issues with Mobius in the past. It will choose a completely random date & time, like 3am March 26th 2050. This can be potentially disastrous if someone were to be dosing using a Versa, and the time keeps changing and causing the Versa to overdose the tank and potentially crash it, even with a daily dosing limit set on the pump, since the time & date gets reset, the daily dosage tracking also gets reset.

The current workaround to this problem that I've found is to move all your devices that are not managed by the MXM to a different tank group in Mobius. MXM managed devices do not seem to be affected by the time & date issue, probably because they're being controlled by the Apex and running off the Apex's time schedule. Just thought I'd bring this to attention, because I can't find anything about this issue, or any past issues like this from the Mobius app.
Curious if you found any solution to this? Btw it’s not the MXM. I only have Mobius and have the same issue with my XR15. Date and time randomly reset to years 1970, 2061, etc and times throughout the day turning the light on and off.

Contacted support today and they did not dissapoint with poor service. I recently sold a Vectra for a Sicce and I am seriously questioning my decision to buy another Ecotech product.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Told me their techs were working on it.
Should not take this long.
Mine was fine with Nero and Prime/Hydra on single tank until I did a firmware update.
After that time reset to 1970 every day. All lights and pumps are fine on their own tank.

OP
OP
Baka Mop

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Curious if you found any solution to this? Btw it’s not the MXM. I only have Mobius and have the same issue with my XR15. Date and time randomly reset to years 1970, 2061, etc and times throughout the day turning the light on and off.

Contacted support today and they did not dissapoint with poor service. I recently sold a Vectra for a Sicce and I am seriously questioning my decision to buy another Ecotech product.
Mine was specific to the MXM module, because when I unlinked MXM, the issue did not happen again, and seemed to have solved itself at some point, maybe it was after an app update.

I linked the MXM again about two months ago, and had no problems since then. I even had my apex offline for two weeks for water damage repairs, and my ecotech devices used their mobius fallback settings without issue.

The only workaround that I found for the time issue is to put your devices in their own seperate tank group so that they're each on their own clock.

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was specific to the MXM module, because when I unlinked MXM, the issue did not happen again, and seemed to have solved itself at some point, maybe it was after an app update.

I linked the MXM again about two months ago, and had no problems since then. I even had my apex offline for two weeks for water damage repairs, and my ecotech devices used their mobius fallback settings without issue.

The only workaround that I found for the time issue is to put your devices in their own seperate tank group so that they're each on their own clock.
Thanks, I will try this two ‘tank’ approach and hope it works.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MXM has been ok so far barring some missing functionality. MXM runs 3 xr30 radions on my 200 and the MP40's and pump are older and just controlled by Apex (wxm for MP40's). In also have 1 xr15 and a MP10 on a 32g on Mobius and have not had a problem. Most notable is my XR30's run when they are supposed to vs. with Mobius they were frequently out of sync, on in the middle of the night etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back