Neptune Salinity Probe not measuring correctly

APCoralReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Recently my Neptune salinity probe started to measure to wrong salinity level in my frag tank. For example, today it measured 1.032 compared to 1.026 whenever I used my refractometer. So, is there any way this issue could be fixed or resolved?

Thanks.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Recently my Neptune salinity probe started to measure to wrong salinity level in my frag tank. For example, today it measured 1.032 compared to 1.026 whenever I used my refractometer. So, is there any way this issue could be fixed or resolved?

Thanks.
how are you calibrating both devices?

What makes you think the Apex is wrong?

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check it for air bubbles. I had to put mine at an angle. Then I calibrated it with my tank water. Just make sure your tank is 35ppm.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thanks.
Is it fluctuating or just holding steady(ish) at 1.032

it can be difficult to get accurate readings from that salinity probe, but its certainly possible to get consistent readings from it.

Basically if its steady and reasonably close, and you know the actual salinity based on a more accurate/repeatable device, like a properly calibrated refractometer, then just use the readings from the probe as an indication of the trend. - salinity rising or dropping

However, if its all over the place and readings swing up and down and are generally unreliable, then it could be air bubbles or other debris fouling the reading. We offer the SPS Kit (Salinity Probe Stability Kit) to help with getting a more steady and consistent reading with that probe

Craig77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it fluctuating or just holding steady(ish) at 1.032

it can be difficult to get accurate readings from that salinity probe, but its certainly possible to get consistent readings from it.

Basically if its steady and reasonably close, and you know the actual salinity based on a more accurate/repeatable device, like a properly calibrated refractometer, then just use the readings from the probe as an indication of the trend. - salinity rising or dropping

However, if its all over the place and readings swing up and down and are generally unreliable, then it could be air bubbles or other debris fouling the reading. We offer the SPS Kit (Salinity Probe Stability Kit) to help with getting a more steady and consistent reading with that probe
I've never gotten accurate measurements from Neptune salinity probes, but they seem to be relatively precise (e.g., I can see changes, but the absolute value is unreliable).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

Thanks.
Assure the probe wire is not next to another wire producing energy with affects the conductivity of the probe. These probes are problematic and may resolve with calibration, but often not the case.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back