Neptune trident giving lower and lower alk levels

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alk was randomly dropping even though two different test kits and both said 8.5 but trident said 7.2 so I did a calibration and the first test and it was correct with 8.3 then dropped to 8.23 then it dropped to 8.18 while mag and calc is between the margin of error. Not sure what to do.
then dropped to 8.16 while in the same calibration fluid

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the Trident unit (or how long has it been running), have you ever cleaned the cuvette and did you recently replace Reagent A? Also, are you using the Neptune calibration fluid or performing a manual calibration?

Note that depending on the time interval between testing alkalinity can change (especially if it's over several hours).

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the Trident unit (or how long has it been running), have you ever cleaned the cuvette and did you recently replace Reagent A? Also, are you using the Neptune calibration fluid or performing a manual calibration?

Note that depending on the time interval between testing alkalinity can change (especially if it's over several hours).
bought the unit second hand but it was running for a bit then put to storage and now I've used it for 6-8 months, Yeah I'm using Neptune calibration fluid and I freshly replaced all three reagents with out topping them off with the old reagent. never cleaned the cuvette but why would only the alk be off, seems weird to me.

tests were taken 30 minutes from each other just now

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to think the Trident alk reagent needs to be refrigerated much like I believe the Hanna alk reagent also needs refrigeration. Reason why I say this is because when I get to the end of my bottle (in room ambient temperature) alk numbers report lower then they actually are. And I had two bottles with the same Batch#, one in the refrigerator and one in room temperature. I verified each of my tests with a Salifert test, and the refrigerator bottle is most accurate. Initial accuracy was the same in both bottles, but once you crack open that seal, the countdown begins.

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to think the Trident alk reagent needs to be refrigerated much like I believe the Hanna alk reagent also needs refrigeration. Reason why I say this is because when I get to the end of my bottle (in room ambient temperature) alk numbers report lower then they actually are. And I had two bottles with the same Batch#, one in the refrigerator and one in room temperature. I verified each of my tests with a Salifert test, and the refrigerator bottle is most accurate. Initial accuracy was the same in both bottles, but once you crack open that seal, the countdown begins.
idk my tester is in my basement where it stays cooler but still having issues.

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trident performs better when you manually calibrate it using tank water and your own test results.
Problem is it was giving me lower and lower alk results in the same calibration bottle just for all while everything else was fine, I’m on the second alk reagent and still having this problem. The problem is the trident swings parameters even though the tests were done within 30 minutes of each other

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You need to clean the test vial chamber with a Q-tip periodically. I used to clean it when I changed reagents. Make sure you don’t lose the magnetic stirrer. There is a YouTube video showing how-to. This is what gave me consistent , accurate results.

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to clean the test vial chamber with a Q-tip periodically. I used to clean it when I changed reagents. Make sure you don’t lose the magnetic stirrer. There is a YouTube video showing how-to. This is what gave me consistent , accurate results.
Did that and still all three elements are reading wrong. Will have to contact Neptune for help

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought the unit second hand but it was running for a bit then put to storage and now I've used it for 6-8 months, Yeah I'm using Neptune calibration fluid and I freshly replaced all three reagents with out topping them off with the old reagent. never cleaned the cuvette but why would only the alk be off, seems weird to me.

tests were taken 30 minutes from each other just now

In bold - what do you mean? Reagents have lot numbers. It is not recommended to mix nor does Neptune recommend combining old with new. Also note reagents have a date on the box.

You mentioned running a calibration. It is recommended to calibrate 48 - 72 hours after install or reagent swap. It is in their docs. I don't know the timeframe so just letting you know in case you didn't.

You noted you ran a test. Scheduled or ad-hoc? Alk results looked correct at 8.3? Correct to what? Similar to previous Trident results or another test kit? I wouldn't recommend comparing across kits but that is just me.

Lastly I think you ran a ad-hoc test with the sample line in the calibration fluid? What does the bottle say and what was the tridents results?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back