Neptune Trident Haters & Lovers - Adding a CaRx could not have been any smoother

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With BRS phasing out the Aquamaxx line and their DEEP discount they offered. I finally took the plunge into the CaRx world for the 850 gallon SPS reef.
I have been running the Avast Kalk Reactor K-2 plus 3 part dosing for 2 years now. The Alk solution I chose for the pH bump was Sodium Hydroxide ( Lye )
While waiting for the Reactor, Kamoer, & Carbon Doser cO2 valve to show up I read every article I could find and watched every video I could from mentor type reef enthusiast on the processes to switch from Dosing to a Calcium reactor.
From all the reading and watching I did, I thought this was really going to have to be a well monitored change over.
Much to my surprise, because I was doing Trident Controlled dosing, this change over was 100% automatically changed over by the controlled dosing. I did not adjust anything manually, the Trident slowly backed off the Calcium, Alkalinity, & Magnesium as the CaRx started adding the big 3. After 1 week, I am 100% off DOS heads running and am 100% flat lined on the Big 3. My Alk only raised. from 8.85 to 9.15 and is holding perfectly flat between 9.05 & 9.15 daily. Calcium is a flat 450 and Magnesium a flat 1525

I am completely at awe on the Trident controlled dosing change over and very happy with the Aquamaxx T-3 build quality. I believe the Kamoer continuous dosing pump, and the Carbon Doser are also equally responsible for a smooth change over.
Big thanks to @alindell for the awesome Kamoer Pump and Carbon Doser.

Full View.JPG

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great. Not a Neptune fan, but that is great that news that you had no problems and it just works!

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great. Not a Neptune fan, but that is great that news that you had no problems and it just works!
Thanks @BeanAnimal this reef has been set p for 25 years. Its never looked better and sure has seen its fare share of changes and upgrades.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the ends fully sectioned off?
Yes but same sump water from garage 100' away. the 2 - MP60's are in dry boxes on each end tank. Mastering flow in a 360 island tank with separate tanks on the end was a real challenge.
Engineering the two large dry boxes inside the end tank water column for the MP60 Dry Sides was a real challenge
:)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but same sump water from garage 100' away. the 2 - MP60's are in dry boxes on each end tank. Mastering flow in a 360 island tank with separate tanks on the end was a real challenge.
Engineering the two large dry boxes inside the end tank water column for the MP60 Dry Sides was a real challenge
:)
Is there a build thread or more details somewhere?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a few Tridents and the controlled dosing is the bees knees, but with all the failed sample errors et it’s like putting Air Jordon’s on Whoopi Goldberg

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a build thread or more details somewhere?
Its more of an unorganized journey not really a build thread.....Some day I promise to do a better build thread.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.4%
Back