i have a alkalinity crisis from RODI to tank not sure where to look need help

Tylenator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks Alkalinity spiked when I did a water change nothing changed from my routine. Ran 30 gallons of RODI water 5 stage heated water to 78 degrees mixed in Tropic Marin Bio Actif salt. Salinity 1.025 about 8 hours passed and trident tested alk 12.3 dkh, cal 453, mag 1443 ph 8.49 nothing has been added to tank no changes in food or dosing. So out of curiosity i checked my RODI water and alk was 6.8 dkh (not sure if this is normal).

So, if anyone has any ideas where to look, I'd be glad for the help tanks been healthy for over 2 years and don't want to lose my babies and my fish too.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try different Alk test kit to confirm before doing anything. Also for RODI did you use freshwater Alk test kit. I am not sure saltwater test kit is accurate for RODI water.

The Bio Actif salt should be used right after mixing. Maybe the Bio Actif portion is messing up trident reading?

I don’t believe you need to pre heat the water to mix TM salt. At least I never did when I used TM salt.

Good luck,

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on testing the RODI water, not sure the a saltwater test would give an accurate result with that.
I don't use a Trident system so I can't speak to that aspect but I wouldn't consider that ALK reading over the top alarming yet.
Do you have any coral or coraline algae that's going to take up some of that ALK? If you have things that will be taking up that ALK then you might be ok as that level will drop over time as it's taken up. What was the ALK normally staying at, is this a big change?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks Alkalinity spiked when I did a water change nothing changed from my routine. Ran 30 gallons of RODI water 5 stage heated water to 78 degrees mixed in Tropic Marin Bio Actif salt. Salinity 1.025 about 8 hours passed and trident tested alk 12.3 dkh, cal 453, mag 1443 ph 8.49 nothing has been added to tank no changes in food or dosing. So out of curiosity i checked my RODI water and alk was 6.8 dkh (not sure if this is normal).

So, if anyone has any ideas where to look, I'd be glad for the help tanks been healthy for over 2 years and don't want to lose my babies and my fish too.

Pure RODI water has an alkalinity of 0, so either your test result is bogus or your RODI filter is broken.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back