Neptune WAV High-pitch Noise

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I've been running two Neptune WAV pumps for two months, fantastic pumps but they're creating a really uncomfortable high-pitch noise - even sitting 4+ meters away. I've repositioned and adjusted many times, reset, checked cable vibration etc. no change. The noise is coming from the pumps themselves and varies at different speeds - running at 100% is the only fix as the noise stops! Also, I've noticed one is slightly louder than the other. It sounds like a buzzing power transformer!

Raised a ticket with Neptune, they took me through the usual length support diagnosis then concluded I need to send them in. Really don't want to be without them for two weeks only to be told there is nothing wrong with them or have old reconditioned replacements (that still have the same noise!) as happened with my APEX! Sent them an audio recording in which the noise was clearly present, they denied being able to hear anything but the usual low pump humm! Sent the same recording around the office asking what noise do people hear most prominent, all 11 people could clearly hear it! Neptune market these as being 'as quiet as MP40s' (which also have) - I cannot agree.

Anyone else have WAV pumps and experience the same high-pitch noise?

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, they run through a program covering every mode throughout the day. The only difference with the level of noise is the speed they're running.

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had to reseat the impellers after using pipeline mode and the noise stopped ..... also added rubber grommets to the wires to keep them from vibrating so much . I would definitely start by taking the impellers out and inspecting them .

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this post again as I'm five weeks on and they're still driving me mad! Its a very annoying high-pitch noise emanating from both my WAV pumps. Seems to be regardless of mode or speed. I opened a warranty ticket with Neptune weeks ago but haven't sent them in as I wanted to know if its just all WAV's sound like this. It's like an electrical 'frequency' coming equally from both pumps - suggests it's not just one faulty unit. I think it must sound like people describe tinnitus!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pure speculation on my part .... but I wonder if it has something to do with the 220/50 UK power. Pumps themselves are DC, but maybe the power supply. Did you try swapping that? Imagine you cannot be the only one running them there LOL.

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can others with WAV's confirm that they don't hear any high pitch whistle noise? I have thought is it something UK 220v 50hz related caused by the AC 24v power adaptor but then, wouldn't the noise be coming from that and not the actual pumps?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can others with WAV's confirm that they don't hear any high pitch whistle noise? I have thought is it something UK 220v 50hz related caused by the AC 24v power adaptor but then, wouldn't the noise be coming from that and not the actual pumps?
Mine made that noise in the US and came from the WAV, it did get better over time.

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They‘ve been running for 6 months now and still no better. I am going to have to replace them as the noise makes the office unusable as an... office.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using mine for close to 6 months and I don't hear any type of whine....just the normal pump hum. I only run them at about 40% though...have you tried running them slower just to see if the noise goes away? Also, probably isn't going to help, but try rotating the magnet holding the pump in place. I noticed the magnets only hold at full strength when they are rotated in one specific direction, otherwise the hold isn't as strong and the pump vibrates.

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The speed and program make no difference, the noise is there even at 5% ... I've switch magnets every which way. Its just weird that some people have this issue and from what I can see, its always with both pumps. Leads me to think its a problem with the supplied power. They sound like a high-pitched fly zapper!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The speed and program make no difference, the noise is there even at 5% ... I've switch magnets every which way. Its just weird that some people have this issue and from what I can see, its always with both pumps. Leads me to think its a problem with the supplied power. They sound like a high-pitched fly zapper!
Yeah, that would be annoying. Have you tried removing the pumps away from the tank and running them in a bucket? I am just wondering if there is some type of interference causing the hum......sorry, grasping at straws I know.

TinaJavelina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my two WAVs for about two weeks and they are BOTH making this high pitched noise. It's driving me absolutely bonkers. Were you able to resolve the issue?

Attachments

• 20200208_005401.mp4
    21.2 MB

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of mine made the noise..I turnediit off for a day seems ok after that

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a high pitch noise everytime I would get close to my apex system. I discovered it was my 1link. I plugged my two wavs into the eb832 and problem was solved.

buerscher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Psumms.
Do you have any news meanwhile? I am running 4 WAVs in Austria, that means 220V 50 Hz. 2 WAVs on each 1Link module. These pumps are close to bringing to the madhouse or throwing them out. But they have been about 1000 €. Hard to put them in the bin. Apex says, some people hear it, some not. Most people in their team can´t hear it. They are investigating, they said. Over 1 month no live sign from them. But that is no solution for me. I read an article where someone mentioned, that WAVs with a power supply won´t do that. WAVs at a 1Link produce that noise.
I am at a loss.
Reg.
Markus

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve long since given up and sold those, went for a Hydros WaveEngine and Reef Octopus 4’s.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back