Nero 3 issues...grrrr

scott_r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have problems with their Nero 3 not turning on after turning them off? was told to soak in hot water and vinegar. They run fine so long as they aren't shut down..once they are they need to be pulled apart and manually have the prop spun to get it to go. I usually do a full tear down/ cleaning every month, Any suggestions? I'm in Canada and its a PITA to send in for warranty plus I have no other units to fall back on. I knew I should have gone with the MP10s

Jay B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nero 5 that I have no issues with. I only ramp down for feed mode and it is never shut off except to clean so I will have to turn it off and see. I have had other brands do what you are talking about and it was the impeller at fault. Did you reach out to AI support for help? I am curious how this gets resolved because I really like the Nero 5 and may pick up more.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing first...

Stop cleaning them with vinegar! It's a known pump killer. It can cause the magnets to swell and crack. Could be the issue? Citric acid works just as well, and will not cause the same problems.

I have 2 nero3's, One is on constant, and the other is standing wave pattern with a stop interval of 2 seconds. Haven't had an y issue with either one. One will occasionally need to be taken out and cleaned as it's low on my sandbed and picks up sand grains from time to time.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 nero 3's for over 2 years never really had a problem unless i get a small bit of sand or something in it . i clean my pumps every month though no matter what even my return pumps .

CapeCoralDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nero 3 will not start if dirty, I only clean with water and a toothbrush. It's a pain but always start after cleaning. My Nero 5 never has issues, clean or dirty. Should have bought 2 5's...

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you contacted their customer service to ask about it?

I have the same experience as the others — my Nero 3 has been running great for almost a year. I shut it off all the time when I do water changes and never have issues w/turning it back on. I’ve only cleaned it once, w/a gun brush and water, and didn’t have issues w/it coming back on after that either. I’ve been looking into citric acid for a second cleaning.

how often have you cleaned it w/vinegar? Aside from that maybe you just got a lemon :(

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Nero 3 for 5 months now. No issues. I also have a mp10. If I could replace it with another Nero I would. Dont think a mp10 is better because it’s made by ecotech and cost more. They both come with there issues. I bet you have a magnet issue not letting it spin, I’ve had this issue with my mp10

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have problems with their Nero 3 not turning on after turning them off? was told to soak in hot water and vinegar. They run fine so long as they aren't shut down..once they are they need to be pulled apart and manually have the prop spun to get it to go. I usually do a full tear down/ cleaning every month, Any suggestions? I'm in Canada and its a PITA to send in for warranty plus I have no other units to fall back on. I knew I should have gone with the MP10s
Sounds like a warranty issue.

I have 4 Nero 5's and one Nero 3 and they all work faultlessly. They're about 18 months old.
They get cleaned once a month with water and a toothbrush.

OP
OP
scott_r

scott_r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!! I was hoping to possibly find a solution vs doing the warranty thing. I will contact them and see what they say. Cheers!!

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Nero 3 for 5 months now. No issues. I also have a mp10. If I could replace it with another Nero I would. Dont think a mp10 is better because it’s made by ecotech and cost more. They both come with there issues. I bet you have a magnet issue not letting it spin, I’ve had this issue with my mp10
Hello! Are you still happy with your Nero 3? Thinking about buying one, but very nervous about the negative reviews online. Would love to hear what you think of the product!

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a coincidence :grinning-face-with-sweat:
I had an early Nero 5, and while I loved the look and functionality, it also had issues like people post about much more frequently than any other water pump I have experienced so far. For the price, I expect hassle free
Screenshot (144).png

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a coincidence :grinning-face-with-sweat:
I had an early Nero 5, and while I loved the look and functionality, it also had issues like people post about much more frequently than any other water pump I have experienced so far. For the price, I expect hassle free
Screenshot (144).png
Oh man, I am just going around R2R bothering folks about their experience with the Nero 3. It seems like it could be the perfect powerhead for my tank, but I am so worried about buying into this product knowing how many complaints there are.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I am just going around R2R bothering folks about their experience with the Nero 3. It seems like it could be the perfect powerhead for my tank, but I am so worried about buying into this product knowing how many complaints there are.
Ahh, I didn’t connect you bumped all 3. Thought it was different people at the same time lol

as long as they warranty them it’s not a huge deal I suppose! Just have to keep on top of cleaning it sounds like from other threads

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, I didn’t connect you bumped all 3. Thought it was different people at the same time lol

as long as they warranty them it’s not a huge deal I suppose! Just have to keep on top of cleaning it sounds like from other threads
Nooby-reefer question, but if I buy a Nero 3 second hand the warranty is likely voided, right?

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Are you still happy with your Nero 3? Thinking about buying one, but very nervous about the negative reviews online. Would love to hear what you think of the product!
I’m still very happy with it. To me it’s better than my mp10.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back