Nero 3

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased a d-d reef pro 1200 which is yet to arrive (120x60x45cm). I decided to go for 2 ai Nero 3 power heads rather than a single Nero 5. I am concerned that it may fall off as the manufacturer says it is good for up to 12mm glass which is the exact thickness of the tank glass. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this pump on 12mm glass?

Living Reef Orlando

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have purchased a d-d reef pro 1200 which is yet to arrive (120x60x45cm). I decided to go for 2 ai Nero 3 power heads rather than a single Nero 5. I am concerned that it may fall off as the manufacturer says it is good for up to 12mm glass which is the exact thickness of the tank glass. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this pump on 12mm glass?

Hi! We are a LFS here and use these all the time. The Nero 3 should be fine on the 12mm glass. The only thing I have noticed is a small amount of gyration when at 100% power, but it never fell. You'll love them!

I Love You Kiss GIF by Voile Banque Populaire

OP
OP
Ollie05H

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! We are a LFS here and use these all the time. The Nero 3 should be fine on the 12mm glass. The only thing I have noticed is a small amount of gyration when at 100% power, but it never fell. You'll love them!

I Love You Kiss GIF by Voile Banque Populaire
Thanks a lot, I was only planning on running them on around 60% power

OP
OP
Ollie05H

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go bigger than the Nero 3 for that size tank.
I was looking on the eco tech flow recommendation website and it says that for my tank, I they recommend around 10000lph for sps and roughly 6000lph for lps. For that reason I was planning to get 7500-8500lph which would be 50-60% power on both neros.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking on the eco tech flow recommendation website and it says that for my tank, I they recommend around 10000lph for sps and roughly 6000lph for lps. For that reason I was planning to get 7500-8500lph which would be 50-60% power on both neros.

I was thinking the 1200 was 1200 litres, I would still probably go bigger anyway, especially if going sps.

To be fair they will probably be fine but if you ever upgrade, you can always move bigger ones with you, the 5s are not much more money.

OP
OP
Ollie05H

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the 1200 was 1200 litres, I would still probably go bigger anyway, especially if going sps.

To be fair they will probably be fine but if you ever upgrade, you can always move bigger ones with you, the 5s are not much more money.
Thanks a lot for the replies; if I went got 2 Nero 5s, i would only be running then at around 35% power. Wouldn’t this mean I am restricted on the variation of the random mode on the pump? I am planning on doing some sps at the top of the tank but no plans on upgrading in the future.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the replies; if I went got 2 Nero 5s, i would only be running then at around 35% power. Wouldn’t this mean I am restricted on the variation of the random mode on the pump? I am planning on doing some sps at the top of the tank but no plans on upgrading in the future.

To give you some perspective, I run one mp10 in a 14g tank, I have had it up as much as 50% with only a little sand movement, I now have it down to 30% with no sand movement.

You make a good point, with the MP10 most of the modes only take full affect at 30%, I don't know about the nero's but would think 35% would be fine.

In real live I doubt you will have them at 35%, even if you do it's always better to have some headroom incase you need to turn them up, and pumps are generally quieter at lower speeds, you will also probably prolong their life running them at a reduce speed.

I really think you would regret going for the 3s for your size tank, but please check around a bit more and get other opinions.

OP
OP
Ollie05H

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give you some perspective, I run one mp10 in a 14g tank, I have had it up as much as 50% with only a little sand movement, I now have it down to 30% with no sand movement.

You make a good point, with the MP10 most of the modes only take full affect at 30%, I don't know about the nero's but would think 35% would be fine.

In real live I doubt you will have them at 35%, even if you do it's always better to have some headroom incase you need to turn them up, and pumps are generally quieter at lower speeds, you will also probably prolong their life running them at a reduce speed.

I really think you would regret going for the 3s for your size tank, but please check around a bit more and get other opinions.
My initial plan was to go for nero 3’s and upgrade to more units in the future which will produce much more varied flow as there are more sources of flow. Would that be bad?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial plan was to go for nero 3’s and upgrade to more units in the future which will produce much more varied flow as there are more sources of flow. Would that be bad?

No not bad at all, what corals are you going for?

If sps good to have flow from a few directions but if you have sand you will be limited.

You don't have to have all the same size pumps either, you could go for the 3s now and then add the 5s for main flow and move the 3s to supplement the flow later on as you fill out with corals.

There are many ways to do everything in this hobby, just for me the 5s are the right fit for a tank of that size.

OP
OP
Ollie05H

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not bad at all, what corals are you going for?

If sps good to have flow from a few directions but if you have sand you will be limited.

You don't have to have all the same size pumps either, you could go for the 3s now and then add the 5s for main flow and move the 3s to supplement the flow later on as you fill out with corals.

There are many ways to do everything in this hobby, just for me the 5s are the right fit for a tank of that size.
It is going to be a mixed reef. Sps will not be added for quite a while which is where I would likely upgrade to more pumps

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is going to be a mixed reef. Sps will not be added for quite a while which is where I would likely upgrade to more pumps

Mate if you haven't bought them yet get the 5s :)

If you have the 3s already no problem, just add the 5s later.

Google "Nero 3s tank size" and most links are talking about nano tanks ;)

You can thank me later :p

OP
OP
Ollie05H

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mate if you haven't bought them yet get the 5s :)

If you have the 3s already no problem, just add the 5s later.

Google "Nero 3s tank size" and most links are talking about nano tanks ;)

You can thank me later :p
Ok, thanks for the help

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back