Nervous to change T5 bulbs

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly to most im sure, however it’s a task I’m a bit nervous to perform. I have a 60” T5 fixture over my tank, and I want to swap some bulbs. Kind of nervous I might accidentally break one when taking it out, or putting one in. Are they pretty durable, any tips or tricks?

BB196022-8FC6-4FA9-98F3-2D3257D1BA77.jpeg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they tight in the fixture, or easy to rotate?

Bulbs of all kinds should be ....easy as a lightbulb...to change. (Yes I did.)

However, in some fixtures I've had to use, the clips hold the bulbs so tight you almost need vice grips to twist out the bulb.

You'll have to see which kind yours is. :)

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they tight in the fixture, or easy to rotate?

Bulbs of all kinds should be ....easy as a lightbulb...to change. (Yes I did.)

However, in some fixtures I've had to use, the clips hold the bulbs so tight you almost need vice grips to twist out the bulb.

You'll have to see which kind yours is. :)
Haha nice. Well before I hung it I did switch some around, and they were pretty simple to turn. If I were taking the light off the from over the tank, I obviously wouldn’t have any hesitation about the swap.

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Btw, is that a 6ft tank with a 5ft fixture? And what hanging bracket is that?

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried about breaking the bulbs over the tank. Get a few card board boxes cut them to fit over the top of the tank so that the broken bulbs will not fall in.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, is that a 6ft tank with a 5ft fixture? And what hanging bracket is that?
Yeah it’s 60” powermodule over a six foot tank. The hanging bracket I designed myself, out of 80/20, then bolted it to the back of the stand. Could hang off of it.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried about breaking the bulbs over the tank. Get a few card board boxes cut them to fit over the top of the tank so that the broken bulbs will not fall in.

You know I actually saved the cardboard box that the light came in, just for this occasion haha. Will lay on top of my screen top...

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you connect the wire mounting bracket to the 80/20 post?
Drilled a hole thru it, I’ll take a picture shortly. Hey I’m trying to change the bulbs right now, and I simply can not get a grip on them. The reflectors are so close to the bulb, I can’t get behind the bulb at all. Any advice?

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marking, same fixture and same problem. ATI suggested working on the cord end. Also , maybe try a piece of silicone hot pad stuff. My fingers are just too fat.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, had to pull the bulb a bit away from the reflector in the middle, Work my fingers towards the ends a bit and then twist. Nerve racking for a first timer haha. Hey guys, right now I have two blue plus and two coral plus, thinking of swapping one of the coral plus for a purple plus, what do you guys think?

bluewill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following
have been struggling with this problem ever since I've bought my 8 bulb sun power ( which I love ) . I have seen other posts where user claims just twist bulbs at ends, are you kidding me? do you ATI fixture users find it just that easy ? maybe there are inconsistencies between the lamp holders used by ATI for the fixtures . I am presently using a small pair of channellock pliers. Thought recently about adding very small amount of non conductive lubricant to lamp holder contacts .
any thoughts ?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am presently using a small pair of channellock pliers.

I dunno if I said this same thing out loud earlier, but I meant to!

This is one thing I would dislike about any light fixture....I've had to service some where the you wonder if the bulbs might have been welded into the socket.

Big brand names, but that always imparted a "junky" aftertaste onto the fixture for me. Like having a high end car that has a wood stool for the driver's seat. :confused: Glad it wasn't my money that paid for it at least. ;)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BTW, this is awesome – great start!!

Could you consider painting the light brackets the same color as the wall so they're more invisible – the light fixture almost does that on it's own by default. :)

Seems like the effect would be good.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont worry, it's very easy. I have an ATI and what I do is place a cardboard cover over tank on top of the tank lid, then lower the chain so I can flip the entire fixture on it's back. Remove the acrylic cover and all bulbs, then wipe everything clean w damp papertowel esp the clear cover and aluminum reflectors to remove any salt spray. Install new bulbs and put everything back. Done. Bulbs should not be very difficult to remove/install.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following
have been struggling with this problem ever since I've bought my 8 bulb sun power ( which I love ) . I have seen other posts where user claims just twist bulbs at ends, are you kidding me? do you ATI fixture users find it just that easy ? maybe there are inconsistencies between the lamp holders used by ATI for the fixtures . I am presently using a small pair of channellock pliers. Thought recently about adding very small amount of non conductive lubricant to lamp holder contacts .
any thoughts ?
Wow using channellocks to remove the bulbs?!... sounds dangerous, I'd look at the sockets to make sure there's nothing bent there. Bulbs should not be that difficult to remove/install.

bluewill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In full agreement that "bulbs should not be that difficult to remove" but you see my post . I have a mechanical background , and have been using florescent bulbs for many , many years . as far as my ATI fixture , I purchased it used , and although it was very clean , I surmise that the contacts have some salt oxidation . posts from other members who do not experience this difficulty confirm my speculation. The small spacing between bulb and reflector also compounds this for me , as i find it difficult to get a decent grip with my fingers on bulb ends for removal.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please consider removing the fixture & laying on a table . It would be much easy/safe .

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back