• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Never again Petco never Again Salina, Ks

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local petco in Salina, Ks

I have a 90% survival rate on my fish from online retailers like saltwatetfish.com and liveaquaria. The first fish I got impatiently from Petco and nearly all of them died within a week. No spikes, just death.
Skip forward almost a year. I get impatient and would like a yellow tang. Knowing my tank has matured, pushing my luck and skipping my quarantine I drip acclimate my newly found yellow tang for 45 minutes. Nice and slow everything has to be perfect. I get him in the tank give a light feeding, leave out some grape algae. He doesn't eat but seems to be swimming alright. Lights out in an hour. Next morning, another Petco death less than 24hrs in. Worst part is they offer no guarantees on their 70% death rate marine fish.
31ef4d3a0e0c04a35e8c8d109f848a0c.jpg
35549fb9c2423978b6166235db8e76b3.jpg
5c463c7bdf2cccd9f51f4e5a4710f4a2.jpg

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the center of Kansas, so good fish are few far between. You really need a strong staff to keep Saltwater fish, and Salina Ks doesn't have that. I knew my fault, but couldn't stop myself. #1 rule of saltwater aquariums, PATIENCE.

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still dealing with my Petco atasia from the first round haha...worst part is I have a 29g QT going year round, I just skipped it like a doofus. I'll be keeping a close watch for parasites, but I'm thinking that fish was just weak from being in a sub par environment for too long.
c66fb745f1c6763565bcc197c2716219.jpg
4c331f6595ac3bc452cf3e69ace2f0c3.jpg

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forcing a store to carry marine life that's not suited to take care of them shouldn't be allowed. But I can't preach too much as I took the risk, and didn't fully mitigate all the possible outcomes.

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if I could order from Petco then and ask that they not put my fish in their tanks rather I come and pick it up as soon as it comes in to avoid the shipping costs of small orders?

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's consistently getting murkier in there tanks. I'd say this loss is my fault for buying from a company that knows their stock is likely to not be in good health and condition. Any company not willing to have a guarantee isn't worth buying from.
On a side note, what is that little red and white fish?
2268dedc7dfcd61a0a9ec3947e83e54a.jpg
9aac1ba8af2c546a2735194c5da2be21.jpg
8409e7989d3d62bfe538e73d2acbe94d.jpg
86ccd816879bc88e6a07f7c701528834.jpg
0484ca3b0bdfece8d90b924974f9f28a.jpg

Jackalmore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's SUPER dependent on who works there. For example, I run the aquatics section at my Petco store. You best believe the fish in my care get appropriate diets, corals/anemones are fed regularly, tank chemistry is pristine, stock is varied , and everything is happy, healthy, and *GASP* ich free (In cases where specimens have illnesses, I treat individuals separately from the system) Also, most everything salt-wise are all wild caught specimens unless it's specified as aquacultured. All aquacultured specimens are from ORA. So in reality, what makes the difference is how well taken care of the stock is while being held at Petco, not really the source.

OP
OP
Clinton

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's SUPER dependent on who works there. For example, I run the aquatics section at my Petco store. You best believe the fish in my care get appropriate diets, corals/anemones are fed regularly, tank chemistry is pristine, stock is varied , and everything is happy, healthy, and *GASP* ich free (In cases where specimens have illnesses, I treat individuals separately from the system) Also, most everything salt-wise are all wild caught specimens unless it's specified as aquacultured. All aquacultured specimens are from ORA. So in reality, what makes the difference is how well taken care of the stock is while being held at Petco, not really the source.
Very nice to have a representative chime in :) I wouldn't have know where these bad boys came from with out your voice.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The staff decided that this thread is best in the feedback forum, because of that we removed any outside comments.

If you choose, you can create your own feedback thread with your experiences and then post a link in this thread. This is a new rule just added for feedback.

"The only exception to this is that users may post links (without commentary) to their own feedback threads with the same seller/buyer."

Thanks

George
Team R2R

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back