Never ending bacterial bloom that returns once UV is removed

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I completely replaced my RODI unit as I had been suspecting that and read in several places that though I may have 0tds, there can be things that will not be measured that can cause this. One whole new RODI unit and a Booster pump later, I'm now down another 300$ and this the tank is just as cloudy if not more than before. ;Inpain

I have been running UV the entire time as well, still somehow cloudy. I've noticed still that at times when my ATO messes up (due to user error, will be fixing) and the salinity rises a bit, the tank will clear up for a bit. Is higher salinity the key here? I don't know anymore, this is ridiculous. I'm tired, I'm fed up. It's not the ATO source water, so that's another thing to the list.

This will keep happening as long as the tank is too clean. I said before a long time ago on this thread that i dealt with a similar bacteria that clogged my entire system until a local reef store told me to add a ton of fish and feed like crazy. i have 11 fish in my 100 gallon and 5 are tangs my water has been crystal clear ever since i increased the bio load. 10- 15 nitrates 0.06- 0.1 phosphates.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I completely replaced my RODI unit as I had been suspecting that and read in several places that though I may have 0tds, there can be things that will not be measured that can cause this. One whole new RODI unit and a Booster pump later, I'm now down another 300$ and this the tank is just as cloudy if not more than before. ;Inpain

I have been running UV the entire time as well, still somehow cloudy. I've noticed still that at times when my ATO messes up (due to user error, will be fixing) and the salinity rises a bit, the tank will clear up for a bit. Is higher salinity the key here? I don't know anymore, this is ridiculous. I'm tired, I'm fed up. It's not the ATO source water, so that's another thing to the list.
Do you think this is precipitation?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

PS - did you ever try the filter floss DIY cleaner - it works great.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This will keep happening as long as the tank is too clean. I said before a long time ago on this thread that i dealt with a similar bacteria that clogged my entire system until a local reef store told me to add a ton of fish and feed like crazy. i have 11 fish in my 100 gallon and 5 are tangs my water has been crystal clear ever since i increased the bio load. 10- 15 nitrates 0.06- 0.1 phosphates.
This I do not think is true. My guess is adding a ton of fish and feeding like crazy was a coincidence - your tank just got more mature. But - Your LFS has a good marketing strategy:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would suggest you restart - what exactly is in the tank (now) - what are you feeding again - what are your parameters (Ca, Alkalinity and MG)

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This I do not think is true. My guess is adding a ton of fish and feeding like crazy was a coincidence - your tank just got more mature. But - Your LFS has a good marketing strategy:)

Nope i can see why you think this though. Ive had friends with he same issue and all solved the same way. You can add phosphate and nitrate with neo products too

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope i can see why you think this though. Ive had friends with he same issue and all solved the same way. You can add phosphate and nitrate with neo products too
Besides the bacterial load maturing (on its own) - what mechanism would you think would cause this to happen (a clearing by adding lots of fish and feeding like crazy)? I'm only asking because there are plenty of tanks with only a couple fish that do not have this issue? I guess you're thinking its low phosphate and nitrate that cause bacterial blooms?

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the bacterial load maturing (on its own) - what mechanism would you think would cause this to happen (a clearing by adding lots of fish and feeding like crazy)? I'm only asking because there are plenty of tanks with only a couple fish that do not have this issue? I guess you're thinking its low phosphate and nitrate that cause bacterial blooms?
When I get lazy/busy and feed less and nitrates phosphates get down close to 0 I start seeing slime build up on the overflow and around corners of my tank, my filter socks start clogging quick and this jelly slime slowly builds up. i used to just start feeding like crazy and eventually it would die down as nutrients raised. Now I use bright wells products to get pho’s and nitrates up and within a day or two all slime gone and back to 100% clear water.
The slime I get is EXACTLY what they posted recently on this thread. Now I also know the cause it used to get worse when my aunt comes over and sleeps over. She is known to spray alcohol based things for smell and randy told me this triggers bacteria blooms that these sprays to remove smells can cause a white bloom in tanks.
She won’t stop using these products and I found raising nutrients eliminates it

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I get lazy/busy and feed less and nitrates phosphates get down close to 0 I start seeing slime build up on the overflow and around corners of my tank, my filter socks start clogging quick and this jelly slime slowly builds up. i used to just start feeding like crazy and eventually it would die down as nutrients raised. Now I use bright wells products to get pho’s and nitrates up and within a day or two all slime gone and back to 100% clear water.
The slime I get is EXACTLY what they posted recently on this thread. Now I also know the cause it used to get worse when my aunt comes over and sleeps over. She is known to spray alcohol based things for smell and randy told me this triggers bacteria blooms that these sprays to remove smells can cause a white bloom in tanks.
She won’t stop using these products and I found raising nutrients eliminates it
The question to me still is - how do you know if you didnt raise nutrients that it wouldn't go away - like with your aunt. She sprays a perfume, 3 microml gets into the tank - there is a bloom - she goes away - no more alcohol - the bloom goes away. I'm not trying to argue with you - I'm only trying to find your rationale behind what you're reporting? Because - this is not common (at all) - most bacterial blooms IME - relate to overfeeding - not underfeeding or?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back