Never frag Purple Deaths

  • Thread starter Thread starter colinadam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

colinadam

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2006
Messages
190
Reaction score
63
Location
Antioch, IL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are as a happy little colony

NuclearGreen-briopsisfree.jpg



Fragged off 1 polyp for a friend

GarenPD.jpg






and since the other polyps were on a piece of rock glued to a bigger rock I thought I'd put the little pice on a frag plug


Here we are a week later

PD-1.jpg



The little polyp is hanging in there, it's still there but closed up and not looking good. I put odds of survival at slim to none and slim just left town.

Any tips on keeping the little guy alive? It's on the sandbed getting pretty good flow, should I try a lower flow area?

What is killing me is that I paid $50 for a polyp from someone here and it never opened. Paid $50 to ranran on RC for a polyp and it did great until I messed it up.

Argggggg

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks
 
I really am not sure, just throwing some ideas I thought when I saw the picture...

Maybe fragged a little too early with a small colony (Only 4 polyps it looks like from the picture)

Did you cure the frag plugs before gluing frags onto it?

I am sure some other guys will pitch in to help
 
I got a single polyp from Marvin that looked like a gonner for weeks. It was folded in half--didn't see any purple at all. Marvin told me that was perfectly normal & to hang in there.
Before:
PurpleDeath.jpg

Now:
PurpleDeath-1.jpg
 
I fed the bigger polyps before fragging, I don't think this can even get food it's so closed but I'll try.

Nice pics puffer, what flow did you have it in? I think that may be the secret.
 
Thats kinda strange that they closed up like that. I try not to frag my pd's unless i have atleast 10 polyps on my mother colony. I've fragged my pd's a bunch of times and that has never happend. Somtimes the frags will stress and close up for a bit, but they recover in a few days.
I did have some tubs blues that i fragged and the mother colony closed up for about two weeks. I started to get worried so i dipped them in Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure and they started to open the very next day.
Good luck.
 
I had fish die when I was on vacation and many of my zoas suffered from all the increased nitrates. I thought I lost my purple death colony, BUT there are three palys still there and they are growing again. PD is a very tough paly, I would say they will make it. Alex, the guy I got mine from told me they are almost impossible to kill off...I almost did it.

By the way, sweet nuclear green!
 
So how much is PD worth, $50 a polpy? What if the polps are tiny?
 
I think they have been going for around 40 lately. Even if a polyp is small i still think it holds its value.
 
I lost all of my polyps but was able to score a 2 polyp frag from patnship here for $30, heck of a deal.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new