Never fragged before - what to use?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RazorD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RazorD

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 18, 2018
Messages
300
Reaction score
159
What state or country do you live in
Rhode Island
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only ever dragged a leather before but now find myself with a large colony of frogspawn that I need to thin out. Is it as simple as buying bone cutters and cutting off isolated beaches and flying down to plugs? Or do I need a saw?

if none cutters will do- does anyone have a specific pair they recommend?

thanks!
 
I’ve only ever dragged a leather before but now find myself with a large colony of frogspawn that I need to thin out. Is it as simple as buying bone cutters and cutting off isolated beaches and flying down to plugs? Or do I need a saw?

if none cutters will do- does anyone have a specific pair they recommend?

thanks!

Let's see if we can get some help with your questions about fragging...

#reefsquad #frag #Frogspawns
 
I've always just used a pair of bone cutters with success. Not sure the brand really matters. Just need to be large enough for your particular situation.
 
If the diameter of the stem is small you can go with bone cutters.With the larger pieces a frag saw is best to avoid fractures.
 
If the diameter of the stem is small you can go with bone cutters.With the larger pieces a frag saw is best to avoid fractures.

how do you define small? Here’s a photo with the lights off (easier to see than when the heads are open)

518E7538-1F6A-410D-9871-EC7FE9E6FDA1.jpeg
 
I would say the diameter of a dime. Any larger and you'll run the risk of fracture.This could lead to infection and the loss of the head.
 
Call up your lfs. My lfs lets me bring colonies in all the time for them to cut for me. If your lfs has a saw, the worst they could say is no
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new