New “No Filtration” Build

wakejumper22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my new build I am going to attempt.. this is my shot at a “no filtration” tank.. only utilizing the inhabitants and live rock in the tank as my filtration. My goal to to keep this tank as simple as possible with water changes every week or two weeks, and only LPS and soft corals. This is a custom built waterbox tank 47”x18”x15”. The stand was built by myself in about 8 hours.. so far looks really good. Placed an order for gulf live rock and will be getting some live sand today as well.

Equipment:

Duetto ATO
BRS heater with Controller
Nero 5
2 AI Primes

IMG_9454.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup, great job on the stand!!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my new build I am going to attempt.. this is my shot at a “no filtration” tank.. only utilizing the inhabitants and live rock in the tank as my filtration. My goal to to keep this tank as simple as possible with water changes every week or two weeks, and only LPS and soft corals. This is a custom built waterbox tank 47”x18”x15”. The stand was built by myself in about 8 hours.. so far looks really good. Placed an order for gulf live rock and will be getting some live sand today as well.

Equipment:

Duetto ATO
BRS heater with Controller
Nero 5
2 AI Primes

IMG_9454.jpeg
Love the stand!

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like fun! I did the same a few years back with a 5g pico. I used an AI Prime for light, a Sicce Jolly heater, a Duetto for top off, and an MP10 for circulation. The goal was to hide all equipment. Then it was sand, rock, and corals!

I'm sure you've seen this channel on YouTube, but if not, he runs his tanks the same way:

OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like fun! I did the same a few years back with a 5g pico. I used an AI Prime for light, a Sicce Jolly heater, a Duetto for top off, and an MP10 for circulation. The goal was to hide all equipment. Then it was sand, rock, and corals!

I'm sure you've seen this channel on YouTube, but if not, he runs his tanks the same way:

Awesome! Yes, that’s where I got the idea.. Danny’s tanks look great…and I was thinking how an all in one tank really isn’t much different.. I’ve kept all the pumps, heaters etc pretty neat. Once I get the rock I’ll be able to hide things a little better. I’m just trying to keep it simple.. I tend to overcomplicate my tanks and it takes away from the enjoyment.

dank.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have done this in the past with quite a bit of success. I ran a 20g with just 1 large chunk of Fiji live rock. I had some zoas and mushrooms on it and maybe a kenya tree. For fish I had a Royal Gramma, a Scooter Blenny and a Yellow Watchman Gobie with a pistol shrimp. Of course there was a cleanup crew of a few crabs and snails as well. That tank ran quite well for over a year until I broke it down voluntarily.

I also am noticing that all of the things that I add to my tanks over complicate them and turn them into more of a chore than a relaxing piece of the ocean. I also feel that there is a lot of marketing involved in convicing hobbiests that we need all of this extra equipment to make it happen.

Good luck with your build this will be fun to watch.

OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after waiting for a few weeks I finally received the live rock today! Rock was purchased from gulf live rock… I am impressed.. lots of cool creatures, sponges, gorgs, macro algae etc on the rocks. Tank looks so natural already. Plan to let it sit for a bit before adding fish since I expect some die off. If the brittle stars that came on the rock look good over the next few days I’ll add cuc. It’s all coming together!

Attachments

• IMG_9824.jpeg
    IMG_9824.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 50

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going to do any macro in the DT?

OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing well so far.. had some initial die off from the live rock but after a few days water has cleared up and the first corals have been added!! I hope to make this a euphilia dominated tank but will have others as well. The only equipment in the tank is the heater, Nero 7, and ATO sensor. I’ve added my first fish, a Flame Angel and just received my first corals from living reef Orlando after winning a 400$ credit in the r2r raffle. So far so good!

Attachments

• IMG_9958.jpeg
    IMG_9958.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9937.jpeg
    IMG_9937.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
wakejumper22

wakejumper22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
February 2024 Update on the no filtration tank..

Tank has been up and running for about 2 months now… I’ve added quite a few corals including a nice hammer garden, large Duncan, bubble and some others like easy sps. As for my live stock I have one flame angel and two Starcki Damsels. Everything is doing well and really haven’t had many issues other then the occasional aiptasia from the live rock. I did have a mantis shrimp show itself after a few weeks which I removed and gave to another reefer.. that explains my emerald crab and cleaner shrimp losses in the first week.

Currently I’m doing weekly water changes which are about 10%. I do siphon the sand and I’ll throw a water polisher in for about 20 minutes after cleaning just to clear the cloudiness. I’ll soon start dosing All for Reef to maintain my alk etc. Not much growth yet but it’s very early. I’m loving this tank.. it’s silent and very easy to maintain and just overall very simple. My water parameters have been pretty good with nitrates between 7-13.. which I do plan on keeping my livestock small, maybe one more fish along the way. Here are some recent pics!

Attachments

• IMG_0592.jpeg
    IMG_0592.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0591.jpeg
    IMG_0591.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0597.jpeg
    IMG_0597.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0594.jpeg
    IMG_0594.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 22

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
February 2024 Update on the no filtration tank..

Tank has been up and running for about 2 months now… I’ve added quite a few corals including a nice hammer garden, large Duncan, bubble and some others like easy sps. As for my live stock I have one flame angel and two Starcki Damsels. Everything is doing well and really haven’t had many issues other then the occasional aiptasia from the live rock. I did have a mantis shrimp show itself after a few weeks which I removed and gave to another reefer.. that explains my emerald crab and cleaner shrimp losses in the first week.

Currently I’m doing weekly water changes which are about 10%. I do siphon the sand and I’ll throw a water polisher in for about 20 minutes after cleaning just to clear the cloudiness. I’ll soon start dosing All for Reef to maintain my alk etc. Not much growth yet but it’s very early. I’m loving this tank.. it’s silent and very easy to maintain and just overall very simple. My water parameters have been pretty good with nitrates between 7-13.. which I do plan on keeping my livestock small, maybe one more fish along the way. Here are some recent pics!
New corals look great!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back