New 125 gallon mixed reef set up - after 20 years - looking for guidance

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been researching slowly because I want to do this right (or at least mostly right). I'm getting my new future build together piece by piece and I'm looking to have some experienced reefers opinions. This is what I've put together so far. Stacked up in the garage. Haven't even drilled the tank yet. Going to do the tempered glass test just to be sure but from what I understand the sides shouldn't be tempered on this tank. Will have some fish, softies and LPS.

TopFin 125 gallon (came with stand but I'm going to build my own) maybe I can sell it?
Aqueon 40 gallon breeder for a sump
Refugium kit for the breeder
Modular Marine 1600 gph low profile overflow box
Reef Octopus Classic 150Int protein skimmer
Carib Sea Ocean Direct Natural live sand
Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
Aquatic Life RO Buddie Plus DI four stage RODI 50 gpd
Two Current USA eFlux wave pumps 2100 GPH - LOOP
Current USA Dual 72" Inch Orbit Marine PRO IC Loop LED Saltwater Reef Marine Aquarium Light with Bluetooth App Control | Wireless Lighting & eFlux Wave Pump Control for Fish Tank (4338)
Two BRS 300W Titanium Aquarium Heaters with Inkbird ITC-306a Wi-Fi

eFlux LOOP DC Flow Return Pump 1900 GPH - Current USA​

Also test kits, refractometer, etc. And I need a heater yet and not sure what else.
I'm still deciding on the aquascape. After much reading on this forum I'm leaning towards partial live rock and some sort of dry rock to help with the scaping while having the LR seed the dry.
If I use dry is one better than the other out of these?

• Marco
  • Caribsea
  • Real Reef
  • Aquaforest
  • Walt Smith

I know there's other lights, pumps, etc. that I can use but I've pulled the trigger already on the equipment. Unless there's a huge mistake with any of it.
Still at beginning stage. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list looks good. I used caribsea dry liferock and mixed in some Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock and sand for that real ocean goodness for seeding. Many others use Marco dry rock and love it, I went with caribsea liferock because I didn’t want the plain white rock showing all the new tank algae uglies.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much. I am leaning towards the live rock/dry rock mix. One thing I haven’t figured in yet was the returns. With my return pump I was going to use one 3/4” return drilled in back. Any reason to use two? I do have the two wave pumps for flow so I thought that one return was sufficient. Unless there’s another reason to have more than one.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, one is perfectly fine. You can split it if you like, check out my current build thread for some footage
Checked out your build. Top notch! I'm in the process of building my stand. It's for a 125 gallon, 72" long. I like yours and it's similar to build plans I've seen except that the ones I've seen have vertical supports in rear and front centers but that would make it much harder with the sump. Do you think that design would work with my tank?

Gman83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only suggestion/tip I would offer is with the 50gpd rodi, you may want to set up a mixing/water holding tank so you can have more water on demand. With 50 gpd it will feal like it takes forever to get water through it (roughly a little over 2 gallons/hour if you have optimal pressure). I bought a 75gpd, and wish I would have just sprung for a 200gpd model. A mixing stand will allow you to make water when you don't need it, and store it, so you can have reserves on hand to fill your tank/ water changes/ emergencies. I don't have one, or I would share what I did, but there are plenty of people who have put them on here.

I used marco rock, and it was fine. I think it comes down to your personal preference, and the look you want for your tank. I would second @TX_REEF's suggestion and get TBS live rock.

Have you gotten a heater yet?

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only suggestion/tip I would offer is with the 50gpd rodi, you may want to set up a mixing/water holding tank so you can have more water on demand. With 50 gpd it will feal like it takes forever to get water through it (roughly a little over 2 gallons/hour if you have optimal pressure). I bought a 75gpd, and wish I would have just sprung for a 200gpd model. A mixing stand will allow you to make water when you don't need it, and store it, so you can have reserves on hand to fill your tank/ water changes/ emergencies. I don't have one, or I would share what I did, but there are plenty of people who have put them on here.

I used marco rock, and it was fine. I think it comes down to your personal preference, and the look you want for your tank. I would second @TX_REEF's suggestion and get TBS live rock.

Have you gotten a heater yet?
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about ways to store it.
No I don't have a heater yet. It's on my list though. The thing is It seems like I research every detail for a long time beforehand.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked out your build. Top notch! I'm in the process of building my stand. It's for a 125 gallon, 72" long. I like yours and it's similar to build plans I've seen except that the ones I've seen have vertical supports in rear and front centers but that would make it much harder with the sump. Do you think that design would work with my tank?
I think the design would work fine for you, but with your size tank I’d go ahead and use fence post/4x4 for the corner supports for abundance of caution, because that’s how I roll

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the design would work fine for you, but with your size tank I’d go ahead and use fence post/4x4 for the corner supports for abundance of caution, because that’s how I roll
Good thinking. How about 2x6’s for the frame?

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1703248844583.png

This is a pic of the sump kit I bought but haven't put together. Need some guidance. I assume filter socks on far right, then skimmer, then is the small opening an air gap? (I know I can make my own dimensions for the compartments). Then return pump. But I'd actually like some room for a refugium. Can you see a setup with this where I can do this? Or do I need another smaller tank? Not sure if I need one or not but I see a lot of you use them. And do my drain lines go right to the filter socks? My over flow has 3 drains. I know one is a main drain, one is an emergency. What is the third? I’ve seen pics of people who have this setup and I see two elbows in it. Thanks.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a low footprint skimmer, you can tuck it in the first chamber. Or, get a HOB skimmer and hang it on the center chamber, where the refugium should be. I have a “display” refugium in the center chamber of my latest build sump, some photos in my build thread if you need some ideas. I like to keep things simple!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back