new 13.5 eve, lighting questions

ROB6700a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I just started my new EVO. Pretty excited!! its been up since may. my biggest issue at the moment is knowing what light spectrum to use for the best growth for my sps. I started off with the saxby and then I read that these lights need to be at a higher percentage so I switched to the Tony rogers setting. but after 2 weeks of this I'm noticing the sps seem slightly lighter and some tips r slightly, very slightly paler. Im not sure if this is growth or what. Also noticed hair algae starting 3 days after light change.
So I lowered it to the BRS ab+ setting in hopes that the lower lights would be better. Id like to find the right settings and stop messing with the lights. Wish these companies put more options out for tanks sizes and depth. does anyone have any ideas what I should use?
The sps are between 4.5 to 7 inches below water line. the light is mounted 9ish inches above. All the corals seem to be pretty happy with polyp extension aside from one milli, asd rainbow, that has some but not fluffy.

I currently do a 1 gallon water change twice a week.

Tank parameters :
Alk:7.8-8.4
nitrates- 2-5, mostly 2ish
phosphates less that .1
mag -1400
calcium 400-450
salt-1.026

currently running

skimmer- aquamax HOB
Lighting- AI Prime hd 16 with diffuser
Flow - since 1.0 and a jebao ow 10 wavemaker
ATO- Tunze nano

for fish I have:
2 clowns
1 peppermint shrimp
several hermits and snails

for corals I have: 4 different acans
duncan
easter chalice
green slimer
asd rainbow milli
tsa sabertooth milli
blue ice tort
orange and green monti
aquaman monti

Incoming I have:
tsa Bali blue slimer
tsa daydream

My issue at the moment is I have no idea what I'm doing with these lights since I don't have a par meter.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters all look pretty good, your tank might just be to young for sps at the moment. As for lighting that light would be good, for sps try doing some research from BRS when I had the primes I ran this setting. But your tank might be a tad to young to handle them.

9A89A6BA-A1BB-4FDB-B60C-9600878D19D7.jpeg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and stop messing with the lights.
My issue at the moment is I have no idea what I'm doing with these lights since I don't have a par meter.
IMO - this two statements is important

Decide a schedule and max intensity - set your light on adaptive mode, start around 50 - 60 % of wanted intensity and let it slowly rise to you wanted intensity - it can take a month or two. Let it take time and look at your corals how they respond.

sincerely Lasse

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Lasse wrote. Pick one light setup, then stick to it so the corals can adapt to it. Because they do adapt. A lot.
When changing the light setup, they need to adapt again to a new light setup. Of course the light changes in nature over the year, but quite slowly.

A good thing to do when picking a max intensity is to borrow a PAR meter, just to check that the light intensity is okay. Somewhere from 150 to 250 in PAR seems to work for most corals.

OP
OP
R

ROB6700a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters all look pretty good, your tank might just be to young for sps at the moment. As for lighting that light would be good, for sps try doing some research from BRS when I had the primes I ran this setting. But your tank might be a tad to young to handle them.

9A89A6BA-A1BB-4FDB-B60C-9600878D19D7.jpeg
Thank YOU SOO MUCH!!!, Ima put these on and just set it and forget.

OP
OP
R

ROB6700a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - this two statements is important

Decide a schedule and max intensity - set your light on adaptive mode, start around 50 - 60 % of wanted intensity and let it slowly rise to you wanted intensity - it can take a month or two. Let it take time and look at your corals how they respond.

sincerely Lasse
Thank you

OP
OP
R

ROB6700a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Lasse wrote. Pick one light setup, then stick to it so the corals can adapt to it. Because they do adapt. A lot.
When changing the light setup, they need to adapt again to a new light setup. Of course the light changes in nature over the year, but quite slowly.

A good thing to do when picking a max intensity is to borrow a PAR meter, just to check that the light intensity is okay. Somewhere from 150 to 250 in PAR seems to work for most corals.
Gonna call some LFS, and see if they have one for rental. Thanks

jcreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For such a young tank, it may be too premature to go SPS right away. SPS can be unforgiving with a steep learning curve. It's not uncommon to lose frags along the way. I recommend being patient, let the tank mature and stabilize your parameters. Pay special attention to Alk and target your level to the salt you use.

As far as lighting goes, I recommend dialing back the intensity since you mentioned "noticing the sps seem slightly lighter and some tips r slightly, very slightly paler." That is indicative of bleaching, and the coral is getting too much light (whether intensity or duration wise). Getting your hand on a PAR meter is an excellent idea, whether you purchase or rent, it is a valuable tool to have. For now, I would move the SPS that has shown signs of stress to a lower level or away from the hot spot. Additionally, turn down the intensity down and see if the coral respond positively.

-Jeff

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back