new 2 reefing and need help with stocking

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been keeping freshwater tanks for about a year and want to get into reefing. in my tank, I want to put a veliferum sailfin tang, a flame angel, a yellow watchman goby, probably some type of wrasse, and some other small community fish. I love the grace and beauty of these tangs especially. even if I can't have any other fish I would love to have this fish. What other fish can I add and how big a tank do I need?

Thanks

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been keeping freshwater tanks for about a year and want to get into reefing. in my tank, I want to put a veliferum sailfin tang, a flame angel, a yellow watchman goby, probably some type of wrasse, and some other small community fish. I love the grace and beauty of these tangs especially. even if I can't have any other fish I would love to have this fish. What other fish can I add and how big a tank do I need?

Thanks
Welcome to the obsession! You’ll find a lot of help here. It is my understanding that for the tang you want you’ll need a large tank, minimum of 125 gallons. You’ll have no problems with the rest of the fish you have listed. Good luck.

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
What size tank are you looking at getting?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180-240. Sailfins get large. Picking a different smaller tang would change things.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
understand your affection for that tang in particular - but indeed individuals that are well fed and stress free can grow fast. - suggest 180 minimum - but there are lot of nice tangs that can last years in a 90

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i might choose a smaller tang then, like a purple tang would that do fine in a 90?
People will have differing opinions about purples.

My opinion is that any of that group, except the 2 sailfins, is okay in a 4 foot 90 gallon as long as it is the only bigger fish. It will likely go postal on another tang or butterfly or other deep bodied fish eventually. I've seen it several times.

So a purple would be okay in a 90 with something like:
Clowns
Goby
Hawk
And a wrasse

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back